What made you interested in torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Just out of nosiness.... What, when, how?

For me I have always found them fascinating, when I was 5 I collected these obsessively
f550750d12ccdb355c4eb8e0445fc37d_zps500bd507.jpg

Although it took me 20 years to realise that I could actually have real ones :s

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
I always loved reptiles as a child. I wanted snakes but my mother was deathly afraid of them. So growing up I was allowed to keep box turtles. I had turtle pajamas, night light, pillow, but not underwear! :)

In high school and college I always choose Darwin or the Galapagos as topics for reports.

As an adult, I wanted a pet. And, I rescued my first tortoise. Then, another. And, I imagine I will always have shelled friends close by. They keep me sane and are really good listeners. :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My daughter loves turtles and wanted one. We rescued an eastern box turtle and I absolutely fell head over heals for him!!! We now have another one. I love every animal/reptile but I have to say turtles/torts are my favorite! I found this forum and I have learned so much. I am so glad I found it! :) :)

Brooksie

5 Year Member
Austin, TX
I got started on herps with a bearded dragon about 8 years ago. He recently passed away and my husband and I have been talking about getting a new scaley pet. We wanted one that was a herbivore (lower maintenance!) and one that was easy going and didn't mind the long hours we both work. I suggested a tort or box turtle and we just happened to run across the Greek tort and I couldn't resist! He super cool and I can't wait to set him up outside later this spring.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
laney said:
Just out of nosiness.... What, when, how?

For me I have always found them fascinating, when I was 5 I collected these obsessively
f550750d12ccdb355c4eb8e0445fc37d_zps500bd507.jpg

Although it took me 20 years to realise that I could actually have real ones :s

I was given a baby red ear slider as a 9 years old kid by my much older niece. Since then I'm always fascinated by turtles. I haven't really learnt that there is "turtle" species who lives only on land till my trip to pet stores in my capital city like 8 years ago. But at that time, I couldn't even figure that it was so easy to ship it to my home, so I didn't buy any.

Finally last year, during an unplanned trip to a local pet shop in my city, I finally met another tortoise for sell. I got interested when I first saw indian star hatchlings, then I directly buy 1 with the thought that it would be easy to care for them, based on my experience with my RES and some explanation from the seller. Soon after that in a week of time, I bought another star, followed by marginated and red foot torts. I mixed them all in a 20 gallon aquarium. Well, it was not a pleasant experience as I lost 2 indian stars due to respiratory problem. Luckily my red foot and marginated stayed healthy :)

I think my learning curve started to grow up after that. I started to browse and learn about tortoise and turtle from various sources including this forum. Then after I overcame the worry of losing another, I bought my other 2 torts, the aldabra and radiata, then finally the forstenii.

Status
Not open for further replies.