What is your favorite species of tortoise?

Briony Wright

Although hermanns are my favourite, I think all tortoises have fairly big personalities, this is why they are such a good pet. Each torty I've come across is completely different, even my two have completely different traits despite being together for so long, they keep life interesting

yillt

My favourite is definitely marginated. My little one Twix recently changed and now he loves being around humans more than anything. When I walk into the room he looks up at me and walks over to the side of the cage towards me. It is so sweet I hate leaving him alone.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Not a tortoise, but my very favorite are the box turtles. They are just so personable. Next would be the Manouria.
I have to agree with Yvonne. My Sulcatas and Leopards are treasures. I love bath time and taking them out for sun. I find myself watching and interacting way more with the box turtles. There is just something about dumping a hundred crickets in a 40 gallon fish tank filled with baby box turtles that is exciting. Don't get me started on the super worm hunts or the red worm balls! Hands down the most fun to be had with a shelled reptile! Of course, then there is building and growing my garden that I use to house my Russian. So I guess my favorite is all of the above, lol.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
This somewhat depends on which aspect the keeper is looking at. Each species is completely diverse and unique. From a biological standpoint I find the Psammobates(Tent/Geometric), Chilensis(Chaco), Pyxis(Spider), Homopus(Padlopers) and Bolsen most intriguing. They are exposed to such extreme temperatures and deathly landscapes. it amazes me how they thrive in such the ways they do and stay oh so very small(except the Bolsen). A lovely design nature indented for these. Especially the Geometric(psammobates geometricus) the eldest of the tortoises from Pangaea times.

Personality wise I give hands down to Manouria and Indotestudo for sure.

Intelligence I also give to Manouria

My favorite out of the collection would be Hinge-backs, Egyptians, Mountains, and the favorite of all is the Chacos. They are the most interesting species, great personality, tiny size, and very curious with intelligent wonders.
LOL... Not everybody has over thirty different species to enjoy and appreciate like you do. I can't imagine you not going from enclosure to enclosure saying "this is my favorite!, no, THIS is my favorite, oh wait, this...."

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I enjoy my Pancakes, silly goofballs the lot of them. But I really want to get a Galapagos tortoise, I think they are so awesome and have laid back personalities.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Although I don't have as many as I once did, leopard tortoises of any variation will go down as my all time favorite, although I do admire Indian stars equally as much. Leopards were really what brought me into the tortoise hobby. Having worked with several other types, these two stick stick out above the rest for a lot of reasons. Most of which are the opposite of what is commonly shared on this forum about these two species. Personalities, hardiness, etc...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I enjoy my Pancakes, silly goofballs the lot of them. But I really want to get a Galapagos tortoise, I think they are so awesome and have laid back personalities.
Pancakes are awesome. Galapagos are actually quite aggressive for a tortoise species. Once they mature of course. The wee little guys are always fun.

Draekonic

Pancakes are definitely the best. Their natural defence systems are so clever and they can have some great patterns!

Quince Wood

Georgia
I would have to say a sulcata,they are cute yet they are the 3rd largest tortoise in the world and one of the friendliest
:<3::tort::<3:

yillt

I love them all and I love aldabras but my marginated Billy is the best. Aldabras are my favourite species but Billy is my favourite tort.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
My first tortoise Shelby will always be my favorite tortoise of them all! She is a Testudo Greaca Greaca ^_^ I love that girl! But species, i would have to say the radiated! i love the shell pattern. Up next would be the pancake! I MEAN LOOK AT IT! SOOOOOO FLAT! SUCH A CUTIE! Oh dont get me started on Indian Stars! UGGG nvm i cant decide which are my favorites >.< I love them all!

turtledan77

I think that the Burmese star tortoise is the coolest looking one out there. Wish I could own one!

IntenseCookie

Arizona
I'm just curious to see everyone's favorite species and why? What makes them so awesome?

Mine would have to be my sulcatas. I love that they all have such hardy personalities. I also like that they eat grass which means I will not have to mow their enclosures. (Lol) but I also love all my other torts!
I've always had a soft spot for the species Lonesome George belonged too... but it's exciting and my heart is broken <//3 The two runner ups are the red footed tortoise and desert tortoise.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I love all my torts, but Sulcata's are probably my favorite they are just so silly sometimes and they are little shelled piggies and their big meaty arms and elephant legs are soooo cute. :3

Reptilelove

Plymouth
1st-sulcatas (there like the elephants of tortoises and are so beautiful and i love them!) 2nd-Hermanns (the first torts i knew about and my 2 are hermanns) and 3rd leopard

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I love my THBs, but I had never considered having them before I was offered to take in these 2. I fell in love with their temperament and their compact size. I also love the native species to my homeland, the Amazon.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES