Favorite Tortoise Species

GGboy17

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Tortoises have so many species and sub-species! So out of all of the tell your favorite species of tortoise and if possible sub-species. I would hear what everybody has to say. Let the War begin!

Attachments

• 1502678237691.jpg
    1502678237691.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 31

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mine is the Leopard Tortoise. No two are alike!!

A close second is the Indian Star Tortoise.

059_zpsyvvevs1j.jpg

015-8.jpg

Maitaimommy

There won't be a war...lol!!! Leopards, Sulcatas and Russian Torts seem to be the most asked about on here. I'm partial to russians:<3::tort::)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Favorite as far as "pretty" is the radiata. Favorite as far as personality is the Manouria and then box turtles.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My favorite is red footed tortoises. But I love them all .Favorite turtle is the alligator snapping turtle . My dream tortoise would be a Parrot's beak tortoise.

GGboy17

New Jersey
Neal- Pardalis Pardalis or Pardalis Babcoki? Indian Star torts. are beauts!
Maitaimommy- Russians are great too! They have a nice size to them, are hardier than most species, and are cute:tort::<3::tort:
Yvonne G- Is Radiata the same as radiated? Oh and also I saw a Native Ornate Box turtle last week!
Mike Taylor-Red Foots are beautiful and have a nice size. Alligator Snappers are awesome, but they can probably bite someones hand off!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you have plenty of room and like larger tortoises, nothing compares to the outgoing/ nothing bothers them/ highly active Sulcata. Set up properly they are possible the most hardy tortoise as well.

For average size - hard to beat the Burmese Stars. Beauty. Active. Personable. Hardy once established. Personable and actually likes to be touched and stroked more than sulcatas.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maitaimommy- Russians are great too! They have a nice size to them, are hardier than most species, and are cute:tort::<3::tort:
Yvonne G- Is Radiata the same as radiated? Oh and also I saw a Native Ornate Box turtle last week!
Mike Taylor-Red Foots are beautiful and have a nice size. Alligator Snappers are awesome, but they can probably bite someones hand off!
That's why I like snapping turtles. I have three of them . I named them all mittens . Hahaha Who would be scared to pet a turtle named mittens ? Haha

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA

Yes, Astrochelys Radiata is the scientific name for Radiated tortoises

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
This is always changing. I'm really into Bowsprits and Egyptians right now though.

Maitaimommy

They are actually a beautiful shade of gray! I held a hatchling and was instantly in love:<3:

GGboy17

New Jersey
If you have plenty of room and like larger tortoises, nothing compares to the outgoing/ nothing bothers them/ highly active Sulcata. Set up properly they are possible the most hardy tortoise as well.

For average size - hard to beat the Burmese Stars. Beauty. Active. Personable. Hardy once established. Personable and actually likes to be touched and stroked more than sulcatas.
Sulcatas have alot of personality