What is the best kind of tortoise for me?

Ghadanfar

Greetings all,

I am from the Middle East, and I think most of you know how hot and arid the weather is most of the year in the Middle East. Anyways, I'm really into tortoises! I remember seeing one as a kid, and promising myself to get one when I get older. I need a tortoise that can handle the hot and dry conditions, and won't grow so big because I want to have the option to keep it inside as long as possible. I will only leave it outside for a while. There are a lot of tortoises with different colors and shapes to choose from, and that is why I need someone who knows about tortoises to guide me.

Thanks in advance guys

By the way, I live in Ohio, and I intend to take it with me from the US.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
take it with you where? to the Middle East? might not be possible.. or very easy...

Best to learn and research all you can now and get one once you go back.

Ghadanfar

I'll be honest here, I didn't Think this much of how am I gong to take it with me back home. Nevertheless, let's say that I can find all kinds of tortoises back home, what will you recommend?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Don't go and collect them from the wild, there are many in captivity. Best bet for you would be to fly via Europe, go to one of the major breeders in Germany or Italy, and then fly with the tortoise from there-for instance, IBERIA let you carry on your pet as hand baggage for 50 euros I think. You would have to sought out export permits and import permits, A10s, and any additional requirements from the airlines for travelling with animals on CITES. Ignoring the cost of the tortoise and your seat on the flights, that will cost about $300 if you do it yourself, or about $800 if you get someone else to arrange it. Which country are you going to?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I can't help with what would be best suited for you and where your going. However, it would be best too wait until you get there to buy one. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you get home start checking around to see who in your area has tortoises. Ask that person for tips on how to keep them in that area, and try to get a captive bred one, as they make better pets in most cases.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...it is my opinion, also, that you should wait to get your tortoise until you are back home. There are quarantine regulations about bringing animals into other countries and you may have to leave your tortoise in a quarantine facility for a long time. It might not survive that experience.

I don't know what, if any, tortoises are native to Bahrain, but you should be able to find some there.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
No quarantine for tortoises in any country as far as I'm aware. If you really want one, I still doubt you'll be able to find any CB ones in Bahrain, maybe the UAE if you were willing to travel. Many airlines allow tortoises to fly as hand luggage. As I said, Iberia offer it for 50 euros I think, Lufthansa and American both offer them in the cabin as well. Delta and BA offer them to be transported in cargo as well. The main problem would be your export and import documents, which will set you back probably $200 or so.

Peyalice

Yes I agree about waiting to get it. Tortoises are very fragile when stressful things happen. But on the kind of tortoise? I would recommend a Russian Tortoise. They don't get very big at all. Males get about 5-6 inches and females get to about 6-8 inches. They need hotter conditions and they are a great beginner tortoise. Good luck on your tortoise journey! You won't regret getting one! :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another good choice would be one of these Testudo graeca subspecies.

T. g. graeca (North Africa and South Spain)
T. g. soussensis (South Morocco)
T. g. marokkensis (North Morocco)
T. g. cyrenaica (Libya)
T. g. ibera (Turkey)
T. g. buxtoni (Caspian Sea)
T. g. terrestris (Israel/Lebanon)
T. g. zarudnyi (Iran/Azerbaijan)
T. g. whitei (Algeria)

Try to pick one from an area as similar, weather/temperature-wise, as where you live. And, as Tom suggests, get captive born, if you can.