What kind of tortoise is best for me???

dalton_lawson00

I want a tortoise that is gonna stay smaller. We have really hot summers and really cold winters. I want it to stay outside in the day time but be able to come inside at night and in the winter. What kind of tortoise would you recommend for me? Please list some information about the breed you recommend, thank you so much!

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
How much indoor and outdoor space do you have? Even smaller species do need a large enclosure, though small species are obviously going to need a smaller space than say a sulcata.

What are you looking for in a tort? Are you thinking you'd prefer a hatchling or adult? Are you particular about diet, patterns and colouration, etc?

I'm.sure some ofriends the experienced members here will have awesome advice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I want a tortoise that is gonna stay smaller. We have really hot summers and really cold winters. I want it to stay outside in the day time but be able to come inside at night and in the winter. What kind of tortoise would you recommend for me? Please list some information about the breed you recommend, thank you so much!
If you're planning to keep a tortoise indoors then don't get a Sulcata. Or a Leopard. Neither hibernates and both need large outdoor spaces.

Even the smaller species need a minimum of 4' x 8' enclosure by day once they stop being babies.

The Testudo (Russian, Greek and Hermann's are most common) grow to around 10 inches and can, but don't have to, hibernate.

If you get a baby tort then it should be kept entirely indoors for the first couple of years.

I suggest you start be reading our Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And the Russian Tort Care sheet (Care of other Testudo is very similar)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/