What food do you feed your star tortoise?

Vampire1330

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
1.jpg
I currently feed these 2 pellets to my stars. Can I add in zoo med grassland tortoise food? What about Mazuri Tortoise diet LS, is this suitable for them also? Thanks.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you give them natural food as well as the pellets?

Vampire1330

Singapore
Do you give them natural food as well as the pellets?
I only feed them the 2 pallets I had posted. I don’t know what natural foods are suitable for them. I tried giving them endives and Timothy hay before but they ate the pallets instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 365925
I currently feed these 2 pellets to my stars. Can I add in zoo med grassland tortoise food? What about Mazuri Tortoise diet LS, is this suitable for them also? Thanks.
Those pellets and the ZooMed are great foods, but they are not a substitute for real food. You need leafy greens from the store to mix with these pellets, and you need to learn your local weeds, leaves and flowers. Freshly sprouted grass is good for stars too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I only feed them the 2 pallets I had posted. I don’t know what natural foods are suitable for them. I tried giving them endives and Timothy hay before but they ate the pallets instead.
Eating pallets is all very well, but pallets alone are not going to be good enough, they need a variety of natural greens, as Tom pointed out.

Vampire1330

Singapore
I bought zoo med grassland tortoise food and my tortoises have been avoiding them for 3 days. 🙁

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought zoo med grassland tortoise food and my tortoises have been avoiding them for 3 days. 🙁
That is totally normal. Tortoises eat what they've eaten before. New foods have to be slowly introduced over a period of weeks or months. Start with one tiny piece of a single broken pellet. Soak it in a bottle cap for a few hours or overnight. Then mix in the much with a big pile of chop up favorite greens. There should be hardly any of the new food at first. Over time, you can add more and more of the new stuff.