what do I need?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know. The links open for me. Try the copy and pasteing them like JoesMum suggest.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lixxy,
I have a leopard tort who needs higher temps and doesn't hibernate, but basic equipment is roughly the same.
I use:
  • Arcadia MVB (mercury vapour bulb) which gives heat light and essential uvb in one bulb - approx £40 (Pets at Home),
  • a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep £21 (The Range)
  • a thermostat for the CHE so that it switches the heat on and off to keep temps even - £35 (The Range)
  • 2 ceramic holders with wide domes - £25 each in (The Range) so £50
  • Blocks of compressed coco coir for substrate - approx. £4 (The Range, Pets at Home and other pet shops)
  • Orchid bark for substrate - 2 bags for £14 (Pets at Home)
  • digital temp gun - approx. £10 (Amazon)
  • Digital thermometer/ hygrometer £19 (Amazon)
  • shallow terracotta plant saucers approx. £1.50 (depends on size)
  • slate for food £3 The Range
You also need to price decent sized enclosures (tables or vivs) and maybe lamp stands to hang the bulb/che from
His hide could be an upturned ice cream tub with a door cut in it, or a flowerpot on its side etc.

Hope that gives you some idea of cost involved in setting up - it's easier for you and the tort if you have it all ready before you get him.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a lot to read in the caresheets but if you break it up into smaller chunks and take the time to read it bit by bit it will be worth it and you'll have a happy healthy tort.

lixxy990

Copy the link and paste it into the URL bar of your web browser

OR

Go to Species Specific > Mediterranean Tortoises and open the forum for each species. The care sheet is 'pinned' at the top

Thanks however still it opening? Really questioning it I have tried on other devices,

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

lixxy990

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is really annoying still not working could u list ?
Lixxy, there is far too much information on all the caresheets for all the species for anyone to put in a list for you, so unless there is someone here with lots of time on their hands to try, unfortunately you are going to have to read it all yourself.
Why not print the caresheets off and go through in your own time and highlight the main points. You will need to know as much as possible if the tort you choose is going to have a healthy and happy life. It really will be worth it in the end.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm sorry, but it's what Lynn said. There's too much.

If you can't make the links work then find the forum for each species and look for the thread there.