what do I need?

lixxy990

Can I ask what is everything I need to get for my tortoise cause I have never had one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're going to have to give us a bit more info. Tortoises aren't a one-size-fits-all type of pet. Different species require different supplies and treatment. And where geographically you are makes a difference in their care too.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
What kind of tortoise do you have (or plan to get)? There are some fantastic care sheets on this forum.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi @lixxy990

Where in the world do you live? What is the climate like? How much space do you have indoors and out?

Even the smallest tort species need a minimum of 4'x8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) for an enclosure. All species benefit from being able to be kept outside once they're no longer babies.

All this information will help us to help you choose the right kind of tort.

A tort will live for 60 years or more and doesn't travel well. You can't put it in kennels when you go on vacation, so you need to have some idea on how it will be cared for when you stay away from home.

Depending on your age, you may have plans for college...and you won't be able to take it there.

lixxy990

Sorry yes your right! I live in England with a medium garden which is partly hill and flat ground. I'd like the easiest tortoise to look after. I don't want one that will grow huge though?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry yes your right! I live in England with a medium garden which is partly hill and flat ground. I'd like the easiest tortoise to look after. I don't want one that will grow huge though?
I am in Kent in South East England and we've had our Greek for 46 years :)

The Testudo (Greeks, Russians and Hermann's) are pretty easy to come by over here and do pretty well in our climate.

They also don't grow too big (around 9-10 inches/25cm full grown) - but don't confuse size with space requirements. All tortoises are solitary creatures that roam huge distances in the wild. In captivity they need plenty of space too. A minimum enclosure size of 8'x4' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) will be needed even indoors. Our fully mature tortoise needs much more space than that.

Getting the setup right before you get the tortoise takes time and isn't cheap, but time spent researching enclosures, substrate, humidity, lighting and heat requirements on TFO now will make the process easier. We can help you avoid expensive mistakes :)

I suggest you start with

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

For the individual species read these care sheets

Russian (Horsfield)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Greek
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Hermann's
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

And if you're thinking of getting a very young tortoise of any of the Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So u recommend Greek ones? Sounds great anything else I should know? Like lighting for them?
Greek, Hermann's or Russian care is all very similar. One of the three

Everything you should know is in those links. They're written by species experts working hard to get up to date information out there.

There's a lot of outdated information on the internet and given by many pet shops and, sadly, by some breeders and vets too.

Read those links and then come back with questions:)

lixxy990

I've read a bit but I'm so confused where I should buy the tortoise and supplies from? And the lighting like a heat lamp, what do I even do?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Before you buy the tortoise get the enclosure fully set up.
Firstly, what type of enclosure are you planning ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've read a bit but I'm so confused where I should buy the tortoise and supplies from? And the lighting like a heat lamp, what do I even do?

You can start by reading the threads that Joe's Mum linked for you. They answer all the questions you've asked and also explain how to set up your enclosure, what to feed, what to do and not do, etc...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Could u list some muSt needs?
Space - minimum of 4'x8' enclosure. May need to be enclosed for some species and younger tortoises

Substrate - ideally orchid bark or coco coir

UVB lamp and lamp holder - exactly what depends on the enclosure

Basking lamp, lamp holder and stand (but not for all species)

Ceramic Heat Emitter (maybe - depends on species and overnight temperatures) with thermostat and stand.

Terracotta plant saucer for water
Piece of flat rock or slate for food

Shelter/hide

Timers for lights

That's the basics. Now read and work out what you you're doing. We cannot tell you "buy that, that and that" You have to work it out according to what you can get and afford

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @lixxy990 and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

No need to get worried: you will hopefully get the help you need. ;)

lixxy990

Space - minimum of 4'x8' enclosure. May need to be enclosed for some species and younger tortoises

Substrate - ideally orchid bark or coco coir

UVB lamp and lamp holder - exactly what depends on the enclosure

Basking lamp, lamp holder and stand (but not for all species)

Ceramic Heat Emitter (maybe - depends on species and overnight temperatures) with thermostat and stand.

Terracotta plant saucer for water
Piece of flat rock or slate for food

Shelter/hide

Timers for lights

That's the basics. Now read and work out what you you're doing. We cannot tell you "buy that, that and that" You have to work it out according to what you can get and afford
Appreciate the help links won't open

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Copy the link and paste it into the URL bar of your web browser

OR

Go to Species Specific > Mediterranean Tortoises and open the forum for each species. The care sheet is 'pinned' at the top
Thanks very much your usual help Linda.