What Age What Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Hello All, I'm planning on getting a hermanns tortoise by the end of this week. I'm wondering however if it is better to get a baby hermanns or a 2 year old 3 inch long hermanns tortoise? I'm planning to buy it either from turtlesource.com or tortoisesupply.com. Thanks for the advice!

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
I say it all depends on what you're comfortable with. Sending babies can be risky, and they could very well develop health issues on their own whereas a yearling would be a little hardier. However, getting a baby also means it can bond with you and get used to how you do things from the start, and that's what I went with.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...this is a tricky one :D

If you have experience with tortoise for some time...then either would be good...if you are fairly fresh to tortoise care I would say go with a bit older tort...remember both you reference are still young :D

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
My baby was about 2 inches and was riddled with health problems. She is badly scarred from an infection from her yoke sack, had shell rot, and was very under nourished (who can blame her?) I also recommend an older well known and well established little one with health and vet records if possible. A good local breeder should be able to provide at least first vet check papers.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jonahbassjazz said:
Hello All, I'm planning on getting a hermanns tortoise by the end of this week. I'm wondering however if it is better to get a baby hermanns or a 2 year old 3 inch long hermanns tortoise? I'm planning to buy it either from turtlesource.com or tortoisesupply.com. Thanks for the advice!

Get the 2 year old, 3 inch long hermanns tortoise...baby torts can be so fragile.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jonahbassjazz said:

DEFINITELY get the 2-yo...much hardier and every bit as fun...and will bond just as quickly (generally about feeding #2 or #3, when it realizes that YOU are the Food God...

Tortoises are quietly spiritual, but also very practical in these matters... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.