Well found out this weekend what happened to our water turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
I'm really sorry Vickie :( You want another story of Dumb*** Kids? ( I know I'm 18 but I still call them kids) I live with my grandma and my dad, and we only have a 2 stall garage, so when I finally got my car this year, i had to park in the street. My neighbors have 3 sons, 2 of which I used to play with all the time when I was younger, but we drifted apart. Here we are maybe 5 years later, and their youngest son is maybe a 3rd-5th grader who plays baseball. Two weeks ago, My family went out to dinner, I remember driving past my car, and seeing it perfectly fine. When I got home i wanted to take my dog and snake to the park. I opened my car door to find glass everywhere on my seat, I glanced up and there was a hugeeeeee crater, and shattered glass everywhere. There was definitely no driving with my windshield like that. My dad said we had to report it to the police. I went around to 2 neighbors that weren't the ones with the children, and unfortunately no one saw anything. When the cops came, I asked the father of the boys to come down here, asked if he had seen anything. He said no he was "mowing". Eventually the cop left, after saying it might of been a branch from the tree which is b.s because there was no branch on the ground to be found. After thinking about it, Matt (the father) Was mowing an elderly neighbors yard, he just finished when we left to dinner and was walking to his house. When we came home from dinner, he was in their backyard mowing. Which means he was in his front yard mowing when the incident happened, in plain view of my car. He knew EXACTLY what happened, and lied to the police. I also noticed when talking to police, the youngest son came around back dressed up in a baseball uniform carrying a bat, and thats when I knew exactly what happened. The kid was warming up and hitting some balls before his game, he hit a ball and it hit my windshield. Matt knew this, and told the kid to stay inside until it was time to leave for his game. He wanted to cover up what his kid did so he lied to us. When I had my windshield replaced the next day, the guy who fixed it told me he fixes a lot of windows for people by the baseball diamonds who happen to have foul balls break their windows. He said this is exactly what happened, the crater it caused was the exact shape of a baseball as well. I begged my dad to come with me to confront the neighbors and call them out and make them pay me the 220 dollars it took to fix my glass, and my dad refused. I was soooooo angry with them. I have decided though to write them a letter, and give it to them. I want to let them know that i know what happened, and they better tell their kids no more baseball in the street. The sad thing is, I wouldn't of been mad if they would of just fessed up to it, apologized, and told me the kids won't play baseball in the street anymore. I wouldn't of made them pay, i understand accidents happen. But to lie to me, and the police is just horrible.
1010649_10151450511702051_1715880030_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
EchoTheLeoTort said:
I'm really sorry Vickie :( You want another story of Dumb*** Kids? ( I know I'm 18 but I still call them kids) I live with my grandma and my dad, and we only have a 2 stall garage, so when I finally got my car this year, i had to park in the street. My neighbors have 3 sons, 2 of which I used to play with all the time when I was younger, but we drifted apart. Here we are maybe 5 years later, and their youngest son is maybe a 3rd-5th grader who plays baseball. Two weeks ago, My family went out to dinner, I remember driving past my car, and seeing it perfectly fine. When I got home i wanted to take my dog and snake to the park. I opened my car door to find glass everywhere on my seat, I glanced up and there was a hugeeeeee crater, and shattered glass everywhere. There was definitely no driving with my windshield like that. My dad said we had to report it to the police. I went around to 2 neighbors that weren't the ones with the children, and unfortunately no one saw anything. When the cops came, I asked the father of the boys to come down here, asked if he had seen anything. He said no he was "mowing". Eventually the cop left, after saying it might of been a branch from the tree which is b.s because there was no branch on the ground to be found. After thinking about it, Matt (the father) Was mowing an elderly neighbors yard, he just finished when we left to dinner and was walking to his house. When we came home from dinner, he was in their backyard mowing. Which means he was in his front yard mowing when the incident happened, in plain view of my car. He knew EXACTLY what happened, and lied to the police. I also noticed when talking to police, the youngest son came around back dressed up in a baseball uniform carrying a bat, and thats when I knew exactly what happened. The kid was warming up and hitting some balls before his game, he hit a ball and it hit my windshield. Matt knew this, and told the kid to stay inside until it was time to leave for his game. He wanted to cover up what his kid did so he lied to us. When I had my windshield replaced the next day, the guy who fixed it told me he fixes a lot of windows for people by the baseball diamonds who happen to have foul balls break their windows. He said this is exactly what happened, the crater it caused was the exact shape of a baseball as well. I begged my dad to come with me to confront the neighbors and call them out and make them pay me the 220 dollars it took to fix my glass, and my dad refused. I was soooooo angry with them. I have decided though to write them a letter, and give it to them. I want to let them know that i know what happened, and they better tell their kids no more baseball in the street. The sad thing is, I wouldn't of been mad if they would of just fessed up to it, apologized, and told me the kids won't play baseball in the street anymore. I wouldn't of made them pay, i understand accidents happen. But to lie to me, and the police is just horrible.

Clearly from a baseball lol

But that it just awful about your turtle :( I would be so mad and upset :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a fine lesson that dad is teaching his son.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
EchoTheLeoTort said:

People like this will get there's one day, and his son needs not follow dads footsteps on this case. I see kids today with there parents and I'm even like yeah that's not happening with my kid,

Vickie

5 Year Member
EchoTheLeoTort said:
I am soo sorry! That is clearly a baseball no doubt to that at all! Sadly last yr was the first yr we ever had issues with any kids out of 13 yrs of living in this home. However, that was kids that were young and their mom was just plain out drunk (even had the plates on her car) and never watched them. Her first kid was so cute and polite which happened to get this a little boy still in DIAPERS! He was just so curious about everything in our yard and wanted to know about everything. Never stepped foot in our yard without me outside. Now her other 2 were a totally different story. I caught them going through my rose bushes picking strawberries I planted under them (when I asked her what she was doing she stated get this she was looking for her brother!) I got a good laugh out of that one. Those bushes are only less then 1ft off the ground and full of thrones. I replied to her I bet you won't find him there and she ran off. Normally you would find her with her older brother but I bet money the oldest one might have been in 1st grade? I have a good sized garden however, got almost nothing out of it they stole it all. They would climb neighbors trees and pick their fruit etc....etc. Made me wounder if the mother even bothered to feed them. Weird thing is at the time it got so on my nerves however, their landlord kicked them out due to neighborhood issues they caused....now I actually worry what happened to those kids without neighbors that always keep their eye out for each other. So anyway, this new family is a whole new world for us here in our small village.......and its really sad. I am just really praying its a one time occurrence without any other issues.
Now as far as the comment on the police visiting they already are going to when I have them work on it. When I told them they were found and what I had planned as restitution the police said it was their duty to make sure its fallowed through or charges will be pressed and they will be off to JDC Center in a neighboring town. So anyway, I am NOT going to have to deal with them after all. Like I said our town is extremely small and not much ever happens here so he stated one of them would be by our house ever 30minutes at least to check on them and make sure they aren't causing problems as well as the job being shown progress. All I have to do is notify them when they are coming and a police officer will be here when they arrive to hear instructions of what needs done. So that way when they come by each time they sort of know what to expect and if the kids are fallowing instructions. :cool:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your turtle. It is great that youre in a small town, and the police have taken such an interest in the case. Sounds like they want to head off future trouble from these kids too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking a few hours of work is not enough for taking the life of an innocent animal that was obviously someone's pet and was on private property.

I'm wondering if one day of community service for each estimated year of life lost to the turtle. It will probably be a negotiated number of days. But I'm sure that the number of charities that need help with lawn work, painting, cleaning out horse stalls, working at the local pet shelter, the salvation army or local churches.

Good luck and if the parent brought the child by to accept blame then they may just appreciate a few ideas that would teach a valuable lesson.

zman7590

5 Year Member
you should put those kids in a plastic container and heat lamps onthem just for an hour and see how they feel! rude kids

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I'd have them dig a REALLY BIG hole. Till you couldn't see their heads if they stood in it. Then bury the turtle. And fill it back in. Just sayin what comes to mind.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Oh, I'm SO sorry about your tort :( :(, that's just horrible. I can't believe that those kids actually 'didn't think' about it being harmful for a water turtle to leave the water, notwithstanding sticking him in a hamster cage in a garage. Again, I'm so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.