Turtle or Tort for a new pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
A friend of mine is looking for a new pet for her kids. The kids want either a lizard (which mom does NOT want) or a tortoise or turtle. IF she gets a tortoise, which one is SMALL and "easy" for beginners? IF she gets a turtle, would a RES be best for them?

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
a russian is a great first tort, i wouldnt go res for first even though they are sold everywhere and easy to care for, i would go for a painted cause they are atrractive stay and stay smaller than a res, they tend to be more mellow and tame. tell her to look for a breeder most petshops carry sick animals

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I personally think that a Russian tort makes a great beginner tort. They stay small and are easy to care for. Also, you don't have to be bothered with filters, etc. like you would with an aquatic turtle.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
First she needs to really understand what she is getting into. This is a life long endeavor. Torts and Turts will hopefully outlive their owners. She needs to research I would say Russians and RES, painteds, Reeves etc. Out of the torts Russians are great beginner torts. But they do take care and equipment so Research, Research, Research, first.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
For little kids I would stay away from Water turtles.. and after doing her homework.. I think she will find a russian is good and she can probably go thru a rescue and get an adult.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Debbie,

Since the Russian tortoise is a good beginner's pet, you may want to give your friend this website to do the research needed as mentioned by others. I would also suggest that if a Russian tort is the selection made, that your friend find a good breeder and perhaps see if they could get a juvenile or older. Anyway, here's a great site about keeping Russian tortoises: http://www.russiantortoise.org/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure your friend knows that the care of the animal, whatever it might end up being, will fall to her. Kids are tickled to get a pet like this, but they are much too busy to take care of it. A turtle or tortoise isn't the kind of pet you can just put in a tank someplace and forget. It needs to be in a large enough container (or best of all, outside) that it can walk around and get exercise. And it needs to be cleaned daily and fed daily and soaked occasionally...something kids rarely do.

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Yeah, she already knows that. That's why she won't get a lizard, she doesn't like them/phobia type thing. She has always been interested in turts and torts but never did any "real" research. She is looking to get them a pet for Christmas, so she does have some time to research and make enclosures. Her kids are 11 & 9. She was hoping not a water turtle as she doesn't want to change the water so often. She would do it, but wouldn't want to.

emysemys said:
Be sure your friend knows that the care of the animal, whatever it might end up being, will fall to her. Kids are tickled to get a pet like this, but they are much too busy to take care of it. A turtle or tortoise isn't the kind of pet you can just put in a tank someplace and forget. It needs to be in a large enough container (or best of all, outside) that it can walk around and get exercise. And it needs to be cleaned daily and fed daily and soaked occasionally...something kids rarely do.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.