Weight

mjk22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
How much should a 6 month old hermanns tortoise weigh?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Eastern or western Hermanns?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
They grow at different rates depending on conditions like temperature, humidity, frequency of soaking, general stress, housed alone or in pairs (stress effects) etc.

In optimal conditions you might see a weight upward of about 70 g at 6 months, and possibly reach 200 g by one year.

Reactions: Ink

mjk22

Texas
I really do not know what I am doing wrong. He is very healthy, but he only weighs 25 grams

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Did you compare your care and setup to what is described in this thread:

What are your temperatures, humidity, and lighting? Are you soaking daily?

mjk22

Texas
Temps are 90-95. Humidity is around 80% during the day and drops to around 65-70%at night when he is asleep under his log. I soak him for 15 minutes daily. I turned off his uv light because I read that he is not supposed to have a compact light. I am buying him a fluorescent bulb soon. I was wondering if I should buy him Mazuri tortoise diet. This is what he was fed before I got him from Arizona Tortoise Compound.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It's possible that the CFL bulb was encouraging him to hide more to get away from the harmful light. Those can put out UVC light which is very damaging to their eyes. This could also reduce his time spent walking around which is needed for digestion.

Mazuri (LS) twice a week would be good to add and would help with weight gain. Soak it in warm water for about 10 minutes to soften it up.

Are you giving any other supplements? If so, what products are you using?

Also, be careful not to over handle the tortoise as this can add stress.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Temps are 90-95. Humidity is around 80% during the day and drops to around 65-70%at night when he is asleep under his log. I soak him for 15 minutes daily. I turned off his uv light because I read that he is not supposed to have a compact light. I am buying him a fluorescent bulb soon. I was wondering if I should buy him Mazuri tortoise diet. This is what he was fed before I got him from Arizona Tortoise Compound.
The fluorescent bulb is going to be extremely bright for the for enclosure. Wouldn't this make it too powerful for hatch-lings eyes?

mjk22

Texas
What are good plants that proved good shade. I have a 4ft by 2ft enclosure that is open.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The fluorescent bulb is going to be extremely bright for the for enclosure. Wouldn't this make it too powerful for hatch-lings eyes?

Fluorescent tubes are widely used for UVB for tortoises, even for hatchlings. The brightness of a single fluorescent tube is less than what you'd get outside on an overcast day. I don't see a brightness concern. In fact, most people probably don't have enough ambient light in their enclosures. LED is great for this. But yes, adding places to get out of the light/hide is a good idea and can lower overall stress. Live plants like pothos are good, and fake plants from Hobby Lobby can be used.

mjk22

Texas
It's possible that the CFL bulb was encouraging him to hide more to get away from the harmful light. Those can put out UVC light which is very damaging to their eyes. This could also reduce his time spent walking around which is needed for digestion.

Mazuri (LS) twice a week would be good to add and would help with weight gain. Soak it in warm water for about 10 minutes to soften it up.

Are you giving any other supplements? If so, what products are you using?

Also, be careful not to over handle the tortoise as this can add stress.
I use repti calcium but not often.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Fluorescent tubes are widely used for UVB for tortoises, even for hatchlings. The brightness of a single fluorescent tube is less than what you'd get outside on an overcast day. I don't see a brightness concern. In fact, most people probably don't have enough ambient light in their enclosures. LED is great for this. But yes, adding places to get out of the light/hide is a good idea and can lower overall stress. Live plants like pothos are good, and fake plants from Hobby Lobby can be used.
A 60 WATT FLORECENT BULB FROM ACE HARDWARE TO PUT IN A CERAMIC FIXTURE WOULD THAT WORK?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... I got him from Arizona Tortoise Compound.
There is your problem. They don't start babies well. They leave them outside all day "In the Arizona sunshine" and soak them infrequently. This is not a good environment for hatchlings and babies, and the result, according to their customers who have personally contacted me, is frequently slow growth and sometimes eventual death.

Buy from breeders who start babies in damp substrate indoors and soak daily. Introduction to a wide variety of natural type foods is a bonus.

ATC are nice people. They are responsible and trustworthy business people. They just don't start babies in a way that ensures their survival and health. I think its fine to house adults the way they do, but babies don't do well that way, as you are seeing.

All you can do is offer ideal conditions for your baby, wait, and hope for the best. Soak it daily, offer good foods. Give it an hour or two outside in a safe enclosure two or three times a week, and keep it on damp (not wet) substrate with a humid hide or two. Mazuri would be a good idea. Its packed with good nutrition, a little needed protein, water after soaking, and its in a palatable form that they love.

Here are two threads with more explanation:

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
A 60 WATT FLORECENT BULB FROM ACE HARDWARE TO PUT IN A CERAMIC FIXTURE WOULD THAT WORK?

Not sure I understand your question. You may be confusing UV and basking bulbs. Basking bulbs (or CHEs for ambient temperature maintenance) should be mounted in ceramic sockets for fire safety reasons. T5 fuorescent UVB tubes (Zoomed, Arcadia etc.) need a compatible fixture. Fluorescent bulbs from hardware stores are not good for ambient lighting because they produce a lot of extra UVA that is not helpful for smooth shell growth. Such bulbs would only be used for ambient lighting anyway. 6400k color temp LEDs are much better for this since they are less damaging and can use a bit less power.