We have hatching

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I also like how the last pictures especially make them look like they are wearing little bows on the front of their carapace.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the one that was placed in the incubator that had a huge egg sac didn't make it, also unfortunately the split scuted one(have a few but This one had really split scutes) didn't make it.

Both represented a very slow demeanor. I'd had hoped for te best on these two.

The cool thing(it's cool to me) seeing such nature and beasts first hand. Is that the split acute one was being eaten by the others when it expired. Checked on them and gave them a soak and the. A few hours later found the little bugger being devoured by the others. Yeah it's pretty gruesome to many. But it's great information to me. They seem to portray that very opportunistic display after seeing this. The 12 remaining are all going to survive indeed. Those two were the only ones that showed a non compliant hatch. Also to add. I left the eggs with some embrionic fluid in there and they gobbled it up as well. These guys are little wild beasts for sure.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
DSCF1175.JPG DSCF1552.JPG They are super fine. The quick color change is a mind blower! It takes phayrei a year to change color but these guy's you can see it day by day. I held back the ones that took the longest to turn brown for several clutches and it appears that the longer they take the lighter brighter color they will be as juvies. Some turner to a very nice green and are still that green 12 + years later. I'll look for a pic or take a current one later. SUPERFINE it must be the year of the emys. My two girls laid huge clutches with a 90+ hatch rate. Vic....pic 1 some huge eggs ( this one had twins that didn't make it)

Last edited by a moderator:

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
I've seen my emys babies eat dead siblings. They seen to do it before it decomposes. Very strange, could it be they are carrion at least as babies OR is it a survival behavior to avoid predators that would be drawn to the stench of death. It is very weird. I wounder what would happen if I dropped....oh never mind. Vic

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you for sure they were dead BEFORE they started eating?

aztortoisegal

Well this is fascinating! Are these turtles, or tortoises? Sorry, imvery much a beginner with tortoises and turtles. How come there's so much involved with hatching babies, meaning how come they can't stay where mom buries them? Too much interference from roaming cats or other creatures? Just curious is all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Are you for sure they were dead BEFORE they started eating?
Well yeah. It was one that appeared to not be as well off as the others. Kept it in it's own little tub and appeared to be getting more acclimate to the world like the others. Apparently not. Nature must have taken "survival of the fittest" into action.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well this is fascinating! Are these turtles, or tortoises? Sorry, imvery much a beginner with tortoises and turtles. How come there's so much involved with hatching babies, meaning how come they can't stay where mom buries them? Too much interference from roaming cats or other creatures? Just curious is all.
These are tortoises. Tortoises are turtles but turtles cannot be a tortoise. This particular species of tortoise is very difficult to master successful hatching in captivity.

Turtlepete

South Florida
These are tortoises. Tortoises are turtles but turtles cannot be a tortoise.

See, to me this is such a funky riddle that my dumb brain still can't wrap around it. And we wonder why people get confused about the difference! Haha :).

Cannabalizing (ignore my spelling of that word) the dead seems extreme…Any other species that are known to do that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I live in an area prone to having red ants. If I leave eggs in the ground the ants will eat them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A little off topic, but I've seen first hand that young box turtles try to eat each other (still alive).

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne, that why I was asking if they were for sure dead or perhaps only close to death when the feast began.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne, that why I was asking if they were for sure dead or perhaps only close to death when the feast began.
To me I would like to speculate that this is a survival asset to the nest. The 4 full term death eggs In the nest that were hatched I would think would be eaten by the live strong survivors. This would accomplish a few things. 1 being the decomposing dead animal would attract predators. 2 it would give a nutritious first meal to the little guys before they tunnel out an venture into the big new jungle. So possibly I wonder how long these guys would stay in the nest hatched out. Next year I shall find out. Nest camera will be in order along with temperature data logger.