We have hatching

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Ahhh "a plan"... so what is this plan?
A small chunk of enclosed jungle of warmth, humidity, and endless amounts of nutritious food. Been growing quite thebarrage of taro, alocasia, collocasia, oyster mushrooms, and Pothos. Of course will add some store greens too.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I can "foster" one for you ;)

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Those are so incredible!!! Nice work!!!'

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Correct. I also moved the tanks about 10 times because they were in the way of the remodel. So they went through some serious movement and absolutely no heat or cooling at all. We got a few cool snaps early on. They dropped as low as 71 for a combined week, and as high as 102 is what the thermometer read middle of the nest for a good while. All the windows and doors were open too. So basically end of spring beginning of summer ambient. Crazy huh? For sure will be getting a data logger for next year so I can see exactly what the temps dropped and rose. I added water only once to the substrate as it seemed a little dry on top about 3 weeks ago. But yesterday I found I didn't need too. Where the eggs were was quite moist but still dry.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
73 was when I dug them up. One was almost tunneled out. Sacs are almost sucked up. So best guess at pipping would be 2-5 days prior. So that would be 68-71 days or so. Can't know exactly the first pip as they were already flattened busted out of the eggs when I dug them out.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! Kelly you going to keep them or sell them?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome! Kelly you going to keep them or sell them?
I may sell a few. But for now all will stay. I want to grow them up and see which sexes appear with this method since the temperature were so broad. Not to mention this is a new bloodline to offer to the US not related to anything. So knowing the sexes many years from now may help out others that cannot find opposing sexes for ones they already have. I'm also in contact with possibly sending some offspring over to Malaysia for reintroduction. We shall se about that though. Long road ahead.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I may sell a few. But for now all will stay. I want to grow them up and see which sexes appear with this method since the temperature were so broad. Not to mention this is a new bloodline to offer to the US not related to anything. So knowing the sexes many years from now may help out others that cannot find opposing sexes for ones they already have. I'm also in contact with possibly sending some offspring over to Malaysia for reintroduction. We shall se about that though. Long road ahead.
That is awesome to hear that some will be taken back to the wild . I would love to work on a program like that .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is awesome to hear that some will be taken back to the wild . I would love to work on a program like that .
Yes. I'm trying. Seems most conservationist don't understand why I would want to do that. Sure does show true colors of what they really think. Wouldn't be all the hatchlings year after year. After all one bloodline(for now) shouldn't be polluted in reintroduction programs anyways. But it's a start and every little bit helps.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Yes. I'm trying. Seems most conservationist don't understand why I would want to do that. Sure does show true colors of what they really think. Wouldn't be all the hatchlings year after year. After all one bloodline(for now) shouldn't be polluted in reintroduction programs anyways. But it's a start and every little bit helps.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree totally . One small step makes great things happen . You can't please everybody . But one tortoise returned can save a beautiful species for the future.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Tell us about the repatriation. I think we could all get into that. I dont know if anyone is doing that yet for Manouria, do you? I was asked for some emys emys to do that but they wanted me to head start them. So, getting free emys emys wasn't enough, I had to raise hundreds of them to three years old too. As you now know, it aint easy to reproduce them. He was going to place them in Singapore on protected water shed land . They have guarded land around big Hotels for Eco tourism . He is a well known Man that I respect with the vision of Trans World relocation of tortoises World wide in natural habitats that mimic that of the species range.*(the last tortoise. C. Stanford.). Keep on defying destiny my friend. Build more!DSCF1507.JPG Vic

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! ! WOW! ! ! WOW ! ! !!

Congratulations! ! ! I know this species are very hard to be CB. I have so many tortoise in China which they love this species but never had a success in egg laying regardless the hatchling.

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats, ! ! ! !

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the way that last picture really shows the bottom of the cute little foot. :)