WATCH THIS SPACE!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One of our members has made a donation to us of one of her pieces of art. As soon as I get it framed I'll be putting it up in this space to raffle off. Stay tuned. . .

(I've never hosted a raffle before, and am open to suggestions)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Open or Silent auction should be decided first. If it's an open auction, then make the rule, only bids can be posted on the thread, all other posts of chit chat, etc, to be deleted.
If it's a silent bid, all bids must be PM'd to you.
Also be sure to put a start and end time and date of the auction and what time zone you are going by. Also if it's open to international members.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
One of our members has made a donation to us of one of her pieces of art. As soon as I get it framed I'll be putting it up in this space to raffle off. Stay tuned. . .

(I've never hosted a raffle before, and am open to suggestions)
You might do better as a raffle vs an auction type scenario depending on how much you think it’s worth and how much interest you think there will be. Sell virtual “tickets” and at the end once the ticket sales close, make the draw. You could do it old school and put the persons name in a hat for each “ticket” they buy or there are websites and apps you could input the info into and have it random generate the winner. As an example, at work we have payday 50/50 draws. Tickets are $5 each or 3 for $10. Most people work remotely, so we just transfer the funds to the main contact. At the end, once they make the draw, an email is sent out with the winners name. Would probably be best to keep it US only. Shipping to other countries, (like Canada where I am) will cost a fortune.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I personally prefer auctions over raffles. You can start the auction with a reserve bid. If the reserve is realistic people will bid it up. Plus auctions are simpler for whoever is managing it. In this case it should be open to TFO members only.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You might do better as a raffle vs an auction type scenario depending on how much you think it’s worth and how much interest you think there will be. Sell virtual “tickets” and at the end once the ticket sales close, make the draw. You could do it old school and put the persons name in a hat for each “ticket” they buy or there are websites and apps you could input the info into and have it random generate the winner. As an example, at work we have payday 50/50 draws. Tickets are $5 each or 3 for $10. Most people work remotely, so we just transfer the funds to the main contact. At the end, once they make the draw, an email is sent out with the winners name. Would probably be best to keep it US only. Shipping to other countries, (like Canada where I am) will cost a fortune.
I haven't really had a problem with high shipping costs out of the US. If they're higher it's not by a terrible amount. I have something coming from Germany and the shipping was only around $11. There's ways to mark the paperwork also that makes it cheaper.🤗

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I haven't really had a problem with high shipping costs out of the US. If they're higher it's not by a terrible amount. I have something coming from Germany and the shipping was only around $11. There's ways to mark the paperwork also that makes it cheaper.🤗
Maybe it’s just more expensive shipping from US to Canada and vice versa. Anytime I need something from the states that I cannot get here, I am paying way more for shipping than the value of the actual product. An example is Miner-all that I have to order from the US. Just the shipping is $35.00 to get it to me and there’s possible duty charges on top of that. It depends on if the mailman is in a good mood on delivery day or not lol. I suppose for this raffle, a stipulation could be placed that shipping is included up to a specified amount. If it costs more, then the “winner” would pay the extra for shipping.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe it’s just more expensive shipping from US to Canada and vice versa. Anytime I need something from the states that I cannot get here, I am paying way more for shipping than the value of the actual product. An example is Miner-all that I have to order from the US. Just the shipping is $35.00 to get it to me and there’s possible duty charges on top of that. It depends on if the mailman is in a good mood on delivery day or not lol. I suppose for this raffle, a stipulation could be placed that shipping is included up to a specified amount. If it costs more, then the “winner” would pay the extra for shipping.
That's very strange. I've never shipped something to Canada though except a card. I have to the UK though and received from the UK and other countries. It wasn't that high priced to do it. So maybe Canada and the US is weird. Or maybe a business can do it cheaper than citizens from another country.. I've just never had the experience of shipping being that high priced.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I took our raffle prize to the frame maker today. Looks like it won't be ready for five weeks! Who knew frame making was such a busy job!?

So we're probably looking at an August raffle. That will give me time to set up a Paypal account. As soon as I get our prize back I'll get pictures of it and post the rules of the game.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well, I took our raffle prize to the frame maker today. Looks like it won't be ready for five weeks! Who knew frame making was such a busy job!?

So we're probably looking at an August raffle. That will give me time to set up a Paypal account. As soon as I get our prize back I'll get pictures of it and post the rules of the game.
Will you post it on this thread?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, folks. . . get ready! We'll be opening the raffle on August 15th. So start saving your $$$ to buy tickets. It's for a darned good cause - to help keep the Forum up and running.

So, watch this space.

Remember, August 15th!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well, folks. . . get ready! We'll be opening the raffle on August 15th. So start saving your $$$ to buy tickets. It's for a darned good cause - to help keep the Forum up and running.

So, watch this space.

Remember, August 15th!
I got that one so I'll know when it starts I just won't know how to buy some tickets 😞

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got that one so I'll know when it starts I just won't know how to buy some tickets 😞
Josh is going to set up the Forum's Paypal account to accept $$ for the raffle. Tickets will be $5 each or Five tickets for $20. And you don't have to have a Paypal account to participate.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Josh is going to set up the Forum's Paypal account to accept $$ for the raffle. Tickets will be $5 each or Five tickets for $20. And you don't have to have a Paypal account to participate.
👍