Vet in Tampa

FrankiesMom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Hello. How do I find a reliable reptile vet in my area? I have an amazing vet, but he doesn't do tortoises. I'm afraid Frankie has worms. He pooped in his outdoor enclosure this morning and there were little white polyp looking things in his poo. They didnt move and seemed to disintegrate when I poked them so really not sure. He loves hibiscus flowers and those little balls in the middle especially so maybe its something from that. I'm going to inspect his poop again next time but I need to have a vet ready on speed dial if I see them again. I'm willing to drive a distance to a vet that I can trust. Does anyone know of one in Tampa or the surrounding area?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can you take a good photo of some poop?
Often, plant fibers look like worms.
Worms shouldn't fall apart like you mentioned. And a tortoise with such a high parasitic load will usually be acting sluggish.
Hopefully you are actually ok.
I'm thinking that it's a misdiagnosis.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Can you take a good photo of some poop?
Often, plant fibers look like worms.
Worms shouldn't fall apart like you mentioned. And a tortoise with such a high parasitic load will usually be acting sluggish.
Hopefully you are actually ok.
I'm thinking that it's a misdiagnosis.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
I hope you are correct and that I'm worrying for nothing! He eats, roams, and continues to gain weight. Not sluggish or losing weight like everything I've read. He does sleep a lot, but he's still just a little guy. He's only approx 7 months old and I got him when he was 3 months and this is the first time something has caught my eye in his poo. I'll try to get pics next time he blesses me with some more poo!
If he has worms, I'm assuming he would have gotten them from his litter mates at the breeder...but that was 4 months ago...unless they have just gotten bad enough that I'm just now noticing them. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I've always inspected his droppings....but they are usually in his water during his bath so maybe I've missed them.
Thanks for your positive thoughts...I hope you are right!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope you are correct and that I'm worrying for nothing! He eats, roams, and continues to gain weight. Not sluggish or losing weight like everything I've read. He does sleep a lot, but he's still just a little guy. He's only approx 7 months old and I got him when he was 3 months and this is the first time something has caught my eye in his poo. I'll try to get pics next time he blesses me with some more poo!
If he has worms, I'm assuming he would have gotten them from his litter mates at the breeder...but that was 4 months ago...unless they have just gotten bad enough that I'm just now noticing them. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I've always inspected his droppings....but they are usually in his water during his bath so maybe I've missed them.
Thanks for your positive thoughts...I hope you are right!
A tortoise that has worms is actually pretty common. But you'll never see them.
They only cause a real issue if the tortoise becomes otherwise ill (For other reasons) And the parasites flourish while the animal is weak. If you see actual whole worms in the poop, there is an issue. The eggs that are passed in a tortoise that has a few worms are microscopic. Only eggs get passed in a healthy tortoise with some parasites. This does not always warrant treatment.
I used to treat my tortoises EVERY TIME I saw a hint of them. I even bought a microscope and became a poop detective.
Now I just don't mess with it....Unless I see worms in the poop or one of my tortoises is acting sluggish or getting light.
Actual worms in the poop are bad. But SOOOO many foreign objects and partially digested peices of whatever can look like worms....
Certainly, if they wiggle. They are worms. Otherwise, maybe not.
Probably not, even.

Last edited:

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
They only cause a real issue if the tortoise becomes otherwise ill (For other reasons) And the parasites flourish while the animal is weak. If you see actual whole worms in the poop, there is an issue. The eggs that are passed in a tortoise that has a few worms are microscopic. Only eggs get passed in a healthy tortoise with some parasites. This does not always warrant treatment.
I used to treat my tortoises EVERY TIME I saw a hint of them. I even bought a microscope and became a poop detective.
Now I just don't mess with it....Unless I see worms in the poop or one of my tortoises is acting sluggish or getting light.
Actual worms in the poop are bad. But SOOOO many foreign objects and partially digested peices of whatever can look like worms....
Probably not, even.
Thank you so much for your help. You have definitely eased my mind. Funny as I was actually thinking of looking to buy a microscope to dissect and inspect his poop! Ha! I will keep an eye on it because I know myself and can't just totally let it go...but I definitely don't feel stressed out about it anymore! This forum and all of the members are awesome! Thank you.
By the way, I've been trying to feed Frankie mazzuri diet since I got him with no success. He has turned up his nose at it every time. I gave up for a couple of weeks and decided to try it again today and he actually ate it! Happy tort momma! I've been reading the posts where people are told to just keep trying to introduce new foods...again, this forum has been so helpful!

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Probably not, even.
Okay...I'm pretty sure these are worms. They did not wiggle...they could be dead...but what else could they be? I'm trying to point at them with a toothpick in the photos. There were several of these as I dug thru his poo. 20190716_174803.jpeg20190716_174742.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
They do appear to be worms. But not the Pin worms or Round worms that I've dealt with.
@Yvonne G
Who would recognize if these are worms and what type?
Any member come to mind?
They don't look like any worm I've ever seen on the internet, either.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay...I'm pretty sure these are worms. They did not wiggle...they could be dead...but what else could they be? I'm trying to point at them with a toothpick in the photos. There were several of these as I dug thru his poo. View attachment 276648View attachment 276649
I'll tell you what.
Take those photos and start a new thread.
Call it something like "identify this in my tortoise poop".
Something like that.
It will get more views and hopefully some better information on what's going on.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
I'll tell you what.
Take those photos and start a new thread.
Call it something like "identify this in my tortoise poop".
Something like that.
It will get more views and hopefully some better information on what's going on.
Ok...I posted it. Thank you. I appreciate your help.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
@ZEROPILOT look at this photo of the middle of the hibiscus flowers that Frankie eats daily...the little balls look exactly like the "worms" I found. Could this be what I'm seeing...just undigested...and that's why you dont recognize them as a worm you've seen before? 20190717_085207.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@ZEROPILOT look at this photo of the middle of the hibiscus flowers that Frankie eats daily...the little balls look exactly like the "worms" I found. Could this be what I'm seeing...just undigested...and that's why you dont recognize them as a worm you've seen before? View attachment 276689
They sure do.
And I've been researching parasites and have seen NOTHING LIKE those "worms".
I'm going to guess that you have ended the mystery yourself.
Good work.
Ed

IreneMM

Tarpon Springs, FL
Hi! I'm a new user, but it seems like serendipity I joined the same day you posted this. Long time redfoot owner in Venezuela (30+ yrs), first time hatchling momma now in Pinellas County.

I haven't needed to use them but my dog vet HIGHLY recommended Avian and animal hospital for my little tort. https://www.avianandanimal.com/
Hope it helps, if you decide medical attention is necessary.

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
They sure do.
And I've been researching parasites and have seen NOTHING LIKE those "worms".
I'm going to guess that you have ended the mystery yourself.
Good work.
Ed
Thank you so very much for sticking with me thru this and doing research for me...I really appreciate it!

FrankiesMom

Tampa, FL
Hi! I'm a new user, but it seems like serendipity I joined the same day you posted this. Long time redfoot owner in Venezuela (30+ yrs), first time hatchling momma now in Pinellas County.

I haven't needed to use them but my dog vet HIGHLY recommended Avian and animal hospital for my little tort. https://www.avianandanimal.com/
Hope it helps, if you decide medical attention is necessary.
Oh perfect! Thank you. I will look them up and save the info in case needed. I just hear horror stories about vets not knowing about tortoises and causing more damage. Welcome to Florida!