Vet appointment

Katie11

Location (City and/or State)
Baker fl
This will be Tanks 1st time to the vet in my care. He is my 1st sully so I have no idea what to expect. What kind of questions and topics should they ask and discuss in order for me to make sure they are a legit exotic vet for my big boy? Are there any specific questions I should ask them to make sure they are knowledgeable in doctoring grown sulcata? Any info would be greatly appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why are you taking him to a vet? If nothing is wrong save your money and do not take him. My torts/leopards are almost 10 years and Russian much older. They have never been to a vet.
The vet can do more damage then good in most cases as they/most have no clue about tortoises.

Katie11

Baker fl
Why are you taking him to a vet? If nothing is wrong save your money and do not take him. My torts/leopards are almost 10 years and Russian much older. They have never been to a vet.
The vet can do more damage then good in most cases as they/most have no clue about tortoises.
Because there are a couple spots on his carapace that I'm worried about. And to get a general idea of his overall health. They are labeled as an exotic veterinarian but it worried me when I called that the receptionist had to ask if they see sulcatas. He's a very recent rescue

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Because there are a couple spots on his carapace that I'm worried about. And to get a general idea of his overall health. They are labeled as an exotic veterinarian but it worried me when I called that the receptionist had to ask if they see sulcatas. He's a very recent rescue
Add photos and we would be glad to help! Shell rot can be cured with dollar store foot cream. White lines on the shell could just be new growth.... etc. Beware a just because vitamin shot! That screams newb

Katie11

Baker fl
And yes he's burrowed down in the closet lol he had a soak this afternoon and that's where he ended up after drying...he is having his house renovated with super insulation and his heat mats and radiant heat panel are on their way...I've only had him 2 weeks and he is usually outside weather permitting....just been in the lower 30s at night..he seems healthy and eats like a beast. Has what I've learned are normal urates..I just want to make sure he is ok all the way around because that next to back acute is sunk in a lil. I have no idea why?

Attachments

• 20210110_163307.jpg
    20210110_163307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 20210110_163352.jpg
    20210110_163352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210110_163521.jpg
    20210110_163521.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 50

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
And yes he's burrowed down in the closet lol he had a soak this afternoon and that's where he ended up after drying...he is having his house renovated with super insulation and his heat mats and radiant heat panel are on their way...I've only had him 2 weeks and he is usually outside weather permitting....just been in the lower 30s at night..he seems healthy and eats like a beast. Has what I've learned are normal urates..I just want to make sure he is ok all the way around because that next to back acute is sunk in a lil. I have no idea why?
That looks like it was maybe a very old injury that looks very well with newer growth. Since he is a new to you tort you could always save a poop and take that for inspection and by all means ask them first for pricing. He looks like he didn't have as humid start as possible, but looks very good and big. The magic is heat, motility, and appetite and your order sounds like he will have sweet house renovation

Katie11

Baker fl
That looks like it was maybe a very old injury that looks very well with newer growth. Since he is a new to you tort you could always save a poop and take that for inspection and by all means ask them first for pricing. He looks like he didn't have as humid start as possible, but looks very good and big. The magic is heat, motility, and appetite and your order sounds like he will have sweet house renovation
The initial visit is $52 so considering I already spent over $700 to make sure this guy is happy its ok... I was surprised it wasn't more actually. And I'm gonna get them a nice sample tomorrow for Tue morning. I've been cramming my brain with all I can on sulcatas and other torts for the past 2 weeks. Learning alot and alot to keep Learning. I'm sooooo grateful for this forum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've read that vets often offer vitamin shots but these can do more harm than good so be wary of that. Vitamins should come from a good diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to stick to the info on this forum only. All others is bad and outdated.
You say he's in the closet. Unless it's a room dedicated to him, he should not be roaming the house.
If you still insist on taking him to a vet, I would not let them give him any injections and search for help on here before giving any medicine. This might be your first but its not this forums first and we have seen many bad vet treatments over the years.
Btw, everything look fine to he too.

Katie11

Baker fl
I've read that vets often offer vitamin shots but these can do more harm than good so be wary of that. Vitamins should come from a good diet.
That's also what I've read and believe. Would it be ok for me to request a blood sample to check him out for vitamin deficiencies?

Katie11

Baker fl
Be sure to stick to the info on this forum only. All others is bad and outdated.
You say he's in the closet. Unless it's a room dedicated to him, he should not be roaming the house.
If you still insist on taking him to a vet, I would not let them give him any injections and search for help on here before giving any medicine. This might be your first but its not this forums first and we have seen many bad vet treatments over the years.
Btw, everything look fine to he too.
Thank you so much? this is definitely my go to on nearly everything tortoise related. And he is in his own room till his heat mats and other heating equipment come in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of that looks like normal growth for a CA Sulcata. Heat lamps can be very damaging to the carapace of larger tortoises. Be careful of that.

There is nothing a vet is going to be able to tell from looking at your tortoise. You are going to pay $52 for someone to look at him and knowingly nod. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Most of them refer to a hand book in the back or a vet website to tell them what to do with a tortoise. They come back out and give the tortoise a "vitamin shot" and want to charge you more money. I'd leave the tortoise at home and not stress him with an unnecessary car ride. If he's eating and pooping normally, there is no reason to take him in. Take a fecal sample in, if you really feel the need to do something.

Katie11

Baker fl
I wouldn't.
All of that looks like normal growth for a CA Sulcata. Heat lamps can be very damaging to the carapace of larger tortoises. Be careful of that.

There is nothing a vet is going to be able to tell from looking at your tortoise. You are going to pay $52 for someone to look at him and knowingly nod. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Most of them refer to a hand book in the back or a vet website to tell them what to do with a tortoise. They come back out and give the tortoise a "vitamin shot" and want to charge you more money. I'd leave the tortoise at home and not stress him with an unnecessary car ride. If he's eating and pooping normally, there is no reason to take him in. Take a fecal sample in, if you really feel the need to do something.
O.k. y'all have convinced me to save my 52 to spend on him some other way. I have no idea where he came from or how his life was prior to the conditions I found him in. Since u warned me about heat lamps they have not been used anywhere to close to his carapace. He just has one. I followed ur heating house advice but if it's to cold to come out what lighting should be in his nightbox?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
O.k. y'all have convinced me to save my 52 to spend on him some other way. I have no idea where he came from or how his life was prior to the conditions I found him in. Since u warned me about heat lamps they have not been used anywhere to close to his carapace. He just has one. I followed ur heating house advice but if it's to cold to come out what lighting should be in his nightbox?
For a sulcata, the night boxes serve as a warm "burrow". They don't need or want light in their burrow.

Katie11

Baker fl
For a sulcata, the night boxes serve as a warm "burrow". They don't need or want light in their burrow.
night box? Even if it's to cold for them to come out and naturally bask?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
night box? Even if it's to cold for them to come out and naturally bask?
Correct.

In summer when our days are always around 100, you can unplug the box or just set it low, like around 70. I let my adult sulcatas burrow in summer and they live underground for about 4-5 months. During our warm sunny spring and fall days where they can bask all the time, I close off the burrows and set the boxes around 80. In winter when we have our cold rainy spells, I set the boxes at 86 so they always have a place that keeps them warm enough to function and digest their food.

Katie11

Baker fl
Correct.

In summer when our days are always around 100, you can unplug the box or just set it low, like around 70. I let my adult sulcatas burrow in summer and they live underground for about 4-5 months. During our warm sunny spring and fall days where they can bask all the time, I close off the burrows and set the boxes around 80. In winter when we have our cold rainy spells, I set the boxes at 86 so they always have a place that keeps them warm enough to function and digest their food.
Thank you so much. I hope I dont drive you crazy in the near future with to many questions but I'm eager to learn.