Unique Mid-Day Nesting

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A little unique .....Mid-day nesting....today this example ... Cherry Head Miss "Vegas" We knew she was going to drop...but usually it's more towards the late afternoon.

Hopefully egg shots to follow .......;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Man. Oh Man!!!!!!!

Never a dull moment around your house and you never miss any action of your torts.

Jeff: I have give you that one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She thought she could fool the lurker if she didn't do the norm:p Besides, is there norm at your place:p:D Man, I'm full of them today:rolleyes:;):)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ha Ha you Two ....!
Well......5 eggs total although She broke one covering them up .....:confused:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Oh man:( Do they do that often, break on or more covering them?
Barb that's a good question .......There are several factors of "why this happens".....just too name a few ...Too Shallow of a nest, Large clutch,obstruction under soil line that interferes with back fill, the female simply slipping into her own nest and stepping on egg and now the most interesting ......I know within my Cherry Herd, I have one female who likes to molest any other female while they are trying to lay- everything from ramming , to nosing down and trying to bite the eggs and purposely trying to interfere/stepping on a new clutch while still accessible and not back-filled. Even some males will be pesky like this ....but if enough room and places for females to "choose the spot" usually helps solve some of these issues. Although a "temporary portion barricade " and or rounding up the others' maybe deemed necessary too.