Nightime Nesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This is likely the last leopard nest I will get this season. It's been a great year! I left most of the clutches in the ground, I would estimate there is over 100 eggs between two females.

I like when the nesting process continues after dark, it's a lot easier to sneak up behind the tortoise and get some up close shots without disturbing the female too much.

104.jpg

108.jpg

This female has always taken a long time with her nests. She takes a lot of pride in making sure that it's perfect before she drops her eggs.

106.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

Filling it back in.

114.jpg

Nice job!

115.jpg

I had to put the kids down after the sixth egg was dropped, so I might have missed a couple, but she usually averages about 8. Pretty good for a small female.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Congrats! How long are you leaving them in the ground? Some of my clutches have been in the ground for a few months now and I'm thinking about leaving some in and digging some out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This past year I left them in the ground until spring, dug them up and finished the incubation indoors. With these, I intend to leave in the ground until they hatch, which I am predicting will be about a year.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Closer to 100% vs. less than 20% artificially.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. I decided to leave a clutch in the ground this year as well. Ive never done it before with leos. But we will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.