Uk housing

Kane UK

First of all I'm new so hello everybody. I have a year old sulcata who's coming in at 750g and has been very healthy since I've had him/her. I've just bought my first house which has a large garden I know sulcata in the UK is frowned upon according to other forums but I'm willing to put in the work. Is he/she old enough to live outdoors if the enclosure is heated and kept at the right humidity if so what are the best/most efficient ways of heating an outdoor enclosure. Currently I have Che's on a thermostat with mvb for daytime(indoor enclosure) will appreciate any replies cheers.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
why would anybody frown upon you owning a sulcata in the UK? As long as you have the space and heated hide it works fine. We have members in the Pacific Northwest who have them, it's cold and wet out there most of the year but they still do fine as well. Anyways salutations, enjoy your visits to the Forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

It might be a bit costly to keep him warm in bad weather, but well worth it in the long run.

Kane UK

I have browsed other areas on the Internet and people aren't too happy when I say I'm from the UK! And you say costly but if it's a large but low enclosure and insulated correctly hopefully will work out cheaper. But I'm more than happy to pay for the right enclosure and heat otherwise I would of chosen a different tort! Any ideas of which heaters are best for outdoors? (Bulbs, tubular, radiators)

Kane UK

why would anybody frown upon you owning a sulcata in the UK? As long as you have the space and heated hide it works fine. We have members in the Pacific Northwest who have them, it's cold and wet out there most of the year but they still do fine as well. Anyways salutations, enjoy your visits to the Forum.

^

Kane UK

Would you say a heated hide is enough inside a large enclosure or the entire enclosure heated?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Would you say a heated hide is enough inside a large enclosure or the entire enclosure heated?
depends on the size how big is your tortoise shell length? A smaller tortoise will need an entire enclosure heated a larger one only the hide.

Kane UK

depends on the size how big is your tortoise shell length? A smaller tortoise will need an entire enclosure heated a larger one only the hide.

His not very big 750g in weight doesn't fit in your hand anymore. What do you class as big?

swabo

U.K Bedfordshire
Kane, I'm in the U.K too. I have 4 tort. (only 1 sulcata though). you are right, people do frown when they hear that we have sulcata torts in the UK. But like you I put in the hard work and effort. My eldest tort is an 11 y/o female Hermann's, lays eggs yearly, no pyrimiding, happy as ever... With the right care and attention you can keep anything healthy. my sulcata is tiny compared to yours... Just under 12 months and only 160gms!!!! eating grass, hay, weeds etc.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I've not heard this before, frowned upon. There's a lady down south here in the UK who has kept,bred,reared sullies for decades. Takes in rescues too, the ones I've seen looked in mint condition. I'll try and find where she can be contacted. It was about 3 years ago when I accidentally came across her whilst looking into redfoots.
I also nearly bought 2 reds off a guy in Kent, he had 3 adult sullies. Looked perfect, smooth as you like. So it can be done.
I have a friend in Leeds who converted a shed for 3 sullies too.
Sullies have bin in this country for decades. To my knowledge at least 2 decades.
Ignore them all.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. :D

As far as a shed, you can now buy plastic sheds, I was considering at a later date buying one, insulating and boarding it for my hingebacks. Plastic will last forever and won't need re-painting to weatherproof. Maybe worth considering.
Just thoughts.