Two tortoises, two species?

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana, USA
Hello everyone. I have had my female Russian tortoise for almost a year, and I think it is time to give her a friend for company. I am really interested in Sulcata tortoises (yes, I know they get big so spare me the talk). My question ultimately is this: does anyone have experience with housing two female tortoises together, 1 Russian 1 Sulcata?

I am not so worried about them co-habitating together as I am about when the Sulcata is to become larger. Will there be a power struggle? Will the Sulcata try to starve the Russian tortoise out?

Let me know if you have had similar experiences!

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Montana, USA
Upon doing some more research on the topic, it seems as if tortoises are loners by nature.
If I did not house the two together, do you think that would be fine if I simply let them associate occasionally outside and what not? Would they naturally keep their distance or try to fight?

Nolan1992

Well by the time you'll actually know if the sulcata is a male or female, it's going to be much bigger. And the odds are going to be that you have a male anyways. The answer would be no in my opinion. If you were going to supervise them the whole time and make sure they keep their distance then fine. But I wouldn't recommend leaving the two alone. Anything can happen. Housing the two together is an absolute no. They require different temps and humidity, and obviously prone to catching diseases from one another.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Nolan1992 are 100% correct.

Never, never, never put two different species of tortoise in one inclosure no matter indoor or outdoor.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have one rt & one sulcata. They are never ever together....not even for a min. The chances of them making each other sick is not worth the joy I would get from seeing them together & there is no joy at all for them by doing it. Its really not worth it. They are solitary animals. Enjoy them seperatly :)

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Montana, USA
Thanks all for the advice.

With that being said- in their outdoor enclosures, how far should you put them apart from each other? Also, should I erect some type of sight barrier where they cannot see eachother?

And if I wanted to let each of them out to share the garden, would it be okay if they took turns (i.e. one day it is Russian, the next Sulcata) or does being in contact with the same area still expose them to disease and infection?

abclements

5 Year Member
They will still be exposed to diseases and stuff... they can be as close together as you want as long and there is a sight and bodily fluid barrier lol

Nolan1992

Thanks all for the advice.

With that being said- in their outdoor enclosures, how far should you put them apart from each other? Also, should I erect some type of sight barrier where they cannot see eachother?

And if I wanted to let each of them out to share the garden, would it be okay if they took turns (i.e. one day it is Russian, the next Sulcata) or does being in contact with the same area still expose them to disease and infection?

I rotate my torts all the time, I have a large yard and when I have time to supervise them myself, I take them out of their enclosure and let them roam, one species at a time. (i.e. thirty minutes redfoots, thirty minutes sulcata, etc.) They enjoy the extra space to roam outside of their enclosure.

M

Maggie Cummings

Each species has their own bacteria and diseases that don't hurt themselves but 'could' make another species sick or even dead. It's one of the biggest no no's in tortoise keeping. You never should mix species. Tortoises are solitary creatures looking at other tortoises as competition for the food, the best hide , mating etc. Tortoises don't need a companion...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a captive bred Russian tortoise the danger of pathogen exchange isn't as great, however most Russian tortoises here in the States are imported/wild caught. They come into this country very dirty pathogen-wise. It just isn't a good idea to allow tortoises from different continents to come into contact with each other...not sharing the same pasture or space with or with or without the other tortoise being present. I don't know how long pathogens live in the soil or poop after coming off the tortoise, but you really shouldn't take a chance on it.