2 tortoises together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dang-rocky

5 Year Member
At the moment I have one male Russian tortoise and I am thinking of buying another female one. Is it advisable to put two tortoises together because hopefully when they are older I would be able to breed the? Sorry this may seem a bit stupid.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Unless kept in a large outdoor enclosure I would advise against keeping them together. I have 2 males and 1 female and even though they are kept outside I still keep them separate. Male russians love to mate and they don't care if it is over and over and over again with the same female. Look at it from the tortoise's perspective, a male russian only encounters a female every so often in the wild, so when he is all of the sudden got 24/7 access to a female he thinks he has died and gone to heaven. You are free to house your tortoises how ever you wish but I would strongly recommend for the female's sake at least to keep them separate and only introduce them for breeding purposes, the female at least will probably be a happier tortoise in the long run.

Dang-rocky

5 Year Member
Thanks for that. I have an outdoor enclosure about 2m by 2m and currently my male tortoise is only staying out in the day and coming inside at night. but I am making a warm and cosy bedding area for him. If I were to get the female I would probably keep her in the indoor enclosure for the first couple of days and keep introducing rocky to her to see if they get on and then bring her to the outdoor enclosure but after i have expanded it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Captain awesome is right. Russians can be very aggressive with each other. They are best kept as singles, but usually groups of one male and several females can be housed together in a large enclosure. Occasionally, I have heard of large groups with more than one male getting along okay in large outdoor pens with lots of visual barriers, vegetation and hiding spots.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
ive got 2 females and one male they get along as long as i have each of there food dishes in the indoor enclosure and out door one , if i try to feed them on one plate they get aggressive with each other ... but thats the only problem i had ... i also have a indoor set up half the size of my computer room lol

Dang-rocky

5 Year Member
if I were to get another female tortoise there will be plenty of hide outs and more than one feeding and drinking area. As it is a sunny day today I will try to complete the outdoor enclosure and take a couple of pictures, when they are on the site please can people tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't call it doing wrong on your part, just what is best for the tortoise, you can always try and put them together just be prepared to separate them. I just cut out the middle man and keep them separate since they don't need or want companionship.

Status
Not open for further replies.