TRYING TO SCAM ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I'm selling an old pump on Craigslist. I got an inquiry, and answered. Rehe's his reply:

Hello! let's do like this, actually now I'm not in town for now, I
came to visit my son so i wont be able to meet with you but am ok with
the price as seen on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a Check out
to you and when you received the check , I will make arrangement for
pick-up. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you
and i will let you know when its mailed out. I need you to be honest
with the sale as I am a God fearing person.

Thanks

I don't like the fact that he's got my email addrtess, first name and city, so I will have to be dilligent in the future.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I get a lot of those same "canned" responses to my ads when I place them on Craigslist. I have always assumed by the poor English usage that they're generated from overseas somewhere. Most responses like that I felt were clearly poor Eastern European English.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't worry to much, when ever someone uses the words postal code, it sounds like someone outside of the US. Most people use zip code not postal code.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I tried selling one time on craigslist. A guy tried scamming me, he didn't get away with it. I don't use craigslist to get rid of anything anymore. I will buy from craigslist, only if I can drive to pick it up in person.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It was immediately obvious to me. I labeled it as a scam to Craigslist. I get these things on occasion, but when it comes down to it, it's really an attempted robbery.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
One thing that always tips me off when I get one of these, is, in the email to me, it usually has re: re;(in the reply line). Like we had already conversed. Not sure why that happens, but I am sure there are savey computer people out there who could explain it.
Did that happen to you? (Just curious, as it has been pretty consistent when I get the scammer.)
Irritates me, and a waste of time!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This happens every time I try to post something on craigslist, so now I choose to hide my email address and I spell out my cell phone number. Since I started doing that, only real interested people contact me.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Oh I wondered why folks spell out their phone number, great idea!!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Honestly, when it comes to Craigslist, I have a very strict policy of meeting people.

I only buy/sell/trade in the surrounding states near me, (Within 3 hour drives, preferably. And generally 'meet half way' situations.) and even more preferably locally.

If someone is going to buy something, I'd certainly expect some form of authentication, such as Trust Who Verified, or Paypal Verified.

It's all too easy to recall a payment on Paypal, so I prefer WU. I've had to recall payments due to scams in the past, and Paypal requires so little to open a dispute to get your money back. I literally had to provide almost no information or evidence of the entire transaction.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Anytime I have ever tried to sell anything on craigslist I get crap like this. I did however find it funny when I sold my old jeep on craigslist. I would get emails like that. "Hello sir I would like to purchase your advertised product and need you to mail it to me as soon as I send the cheque" I love how they cant spell CHECK, but they dont look into what they are trying to scam for. Really how am I suppose to just take a jeep to the post office and send it priorty, LOL idiots. I gave up on craigslist for selling. I will buy but same as everyone else, just have to go pick it up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe cheque is the british version of it.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ya I had someone try to do this to me to. They really should learn the english language before trying to scam people that speak english. They wanted me to send a bunch of personal information t them. This is how I respond to them. Hello here is the info you requested F U

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
This happens to me a lot through CL. I have put my number down so people could call, and I've got texts saying I've won free best buy gift cards and stuff. The texts usually come through usually in the middle of the night. Very stupid. It sucks that some people get ahead by screwing other people over.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Very true, Blafirira.

It'd be nice if people just wanted to use these things for some honest trading and selling, instead of trying to be so selfish and manipulate it.

Yeah, sure..the idea of getting something for free is great, or making profit off nothing...but really, at what cost? Ripping honest folks off who are just interested in making a trade or sale that'd benefit both parties?

I wouldn't have it in my to scam someone, honestly. Admittedly, I can be a bit of a jerk, a bit rude here and there, and downright antisocial..But that's just low.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
We use cheque and postal code up here in Canada. Mayb it's closer then you think

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I've heard of Cheque a lot, as I live quite close to Canada. I occasionally check Montreal CL listings.

Also, Blafira, I was in VT two days back. :) Lovely, lovely area.

Status
Not open for further replies.