Where is the scam in this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A person on fauna classified is selling tortoises. Gallops, aldabras, rads, spiders and possibly a couple more. They have their location as Chicago, same area code as me. So, I am 99% sure it's a scam, so I text them. I say I'm interested in a trio of spiders and that I would like to pick them up, seeing I too live in Chicago.
I receive a text back right away, saying the torts are kept at the farm in Virginia. They mention nothing of any permits for the gallops or the Rads. They call them breeds instead of species.
The deal is. They send you your tort, they pay for shipping, and once you receive them, then you send in payment. The price for the spiders were 1200.00 for an adult. I can't see the scam in this, but there has to be one.
Anyone see the scam? Please share.
Btw, I just checked back on fauna to get the persons name and low and behold, I can't find the post.
I'm not buying. I only play with them like I am buying. Then I release any anger I might have onto them LOL. I know it's a scam, can't figure out how!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are actually in Camaroon. Been doing this and running ads like this for a long time. I don't exactly know the scam, but I imagine you send your $$ but don't get the tortoise.

shelledfrens

Louisville ky
I don't see how they could really scam you. As, they send your tort to you first and then you pay when you get it. I'd say a buyer could be a scammer before them, they'd get the tort and not send the money in. I don't know, with that amount of money I wouldn't take chances at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are actually in Camaroon. Been doing this and running ads like this for a long time. I don't exactly know the scam, but I imagine you send your $$ but don't get the tortoise.
No, that's the catch on this one. They even advertise they will ship them out and you pay after you get the tort.
When I texted him. I said, okay you will pay to ship them to me and when I get them, and they are all alive, then I can send you a check for payment. He said yes, that's fine.
I know it's a scam. I just can't find the how? Plus, I don't know how much Spiders go for, but $1200.00 isn't cheap. Most of the other scams like this one sell their torts way under going rate.
I think they are changing things up to not be so obvious, but I can figure out how/where the scam is?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see how they could really scam you. As, they send your tort to you first and then you pay when you get it. I'd say a buyer could be a scammer before them, they'd get the tort and not send the money in. I don't know, with that amount of money I wouldn't take chances at all.
I'm not buying. I just want to figure out the scam. I'm 99% sure they are scammers. When I see ads that I feel are scams, I like to play along with them, it's fun. Then I blast them with my opinion about how disgusting they are and then I warn people about them.
I just can't figure this one out. Maybe if I had played longer with them, they would have exposed the scam.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

If you believe that, then you are the type of person who falls for the scam. NO ONE sends the tortoise before they get the money.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you believe that, then you are the type of person who falls for the scam. NO ONE sends the tortoise before they get the money.
So true.
All I can come up with, is either they come up with some reason they need the money up front, or, when you go to pic up the torts, probably won't send to a house, then that's when payment has to be made. Most people would not want tortoises sitting at an airport or fedex warehouse for who knows how long, so they will pay. The last one is quite risky and if the buyer didn't bite, the risk is the possible death of the torts, so kinda doesn't make sense.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Only thing I can think of is they send you the tortoises but you pay on delivery. So you must pay for the shipment. Before it's handed to you, so you go ahead and pay. Then you receive the package and long and behold there is no tortoise in there.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
So true.
All I can come up with, is either they come up with some reason they need the money up front, or, when you go to pic up the torts, probably won't send to a house, then that's when payment has to be made. Most people would not want tortoises sitting at an airport or fedex warehouse for who knows how long, so they will pay. The last one is quite risky and if the buyer didn't bite, the risk is the possible death of the torts, so kinda doesn't make sense.
How about :
I'm sorry we Are out of thoughts torts
And I know you have been waiting for them . So here is a check for $1000.00 take $200.00 for your time and mail me the balance back . But the check is bad and your out $800.00 ! You know that scam!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will probably ask for a "deposit" of some sort before they can send the tort, but won't mention that until you are good and hooked and you tell them how excited you are about getting your new tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only thing I can think of is they send you the tortoises but you pay on delivery. So you must pay for the shipment. Before it's handed to you, so you go ahead and pay. Then you receive the package and long and behold there is no tortoise in there.
Now, that sounds more practical then the way I said it.
If I remember correctly, you had commented on the persons fauna post. The person only joined fauna this month. I believe you said you knew of at least one person that had got ripped off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about :
I'm sorry we Are out of thoughts torts
And I know you have been waiting for them . So here is a check for $1000.00 take $200.00 for your time and mail me the balance back . But the check is bad and your out $800.00 ! You know that scam!
Yea, that's a good one. I got that tried on me once the very first and only time I tried selling something on CL. Luckily I distrust people before I trust them.
I never even say yes over the phone unless it's family or friend.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They will probably ask for a "deposit" of some sort before they can send the tort, but won't mention that until you are good and hooked and you tell them how excited you are about getting your new tortoises.
I thought about that. That's why I said that after I received the torts I could send them a check. Thinking they would only except credit cards. Then using/stealing your credit card info. I should have played along further to see what would have come of it.