trying to save friend's tortoise (updated 8/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
RE: Need help

I also will agree with soaking 2 times a day. With the increase temps he will dry out, so therefore it is necessary.
Senjisandy...my experience with vitamin A injection in a box turtle with a RI, was the skin reacted like it was burned. It just melted right off my poor boxie. It was the most awful thing. I know she suffered.she wouldn't eat or drink, we had to tube feed her. She never did make it. They said she had a Vitamin A overdose.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help

Ok thanx will do the two soaks a day :)
How long do u reckon it should b 4?
No, unfortunately eyes did not open at all but after being like that for I'm guessing years I'm worried they won't open. Can torts survive with no sight?
:( hopefully after more soaks it will help
Oh last thing should the two soaks a day both baby soaks?

Thanx everyone for helping :)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help

Ok an update
Tomorrow we r taking both tortoises to a vet that has one guy that knows about tortoises :) hope it doesn't get to expensive coz don't have much money so dont no if will be able to pay for all of there tortoise meds
Atleast we can get him checked out :)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help

I have just got one of these I hope it's right ImageUploadedByTortForum1375108795.685872.jpg
So he can have more heat

Last edited by a moderator:

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help

UPDATE:
ok so Rex has been to the vet he actually has 3 torts himself so knows loads which is great.
He is sure that Rex is blind but can't b certain until we find out if his eyes have ever been open.
He has calcium deficient and needs 16 hours uvb a day.
We have to try force feeding him with a mix that we where given.
Apparently he prob so lethargic coz they start using their skeleton for the calcium and breaking it up.
We have to make sure temps r exact for hot side nd cold side.
I think that's it
Oh and guess what.... I think the car journey stressed him loads which was bad but it meant he opened his bowels which he hasn't done in ages.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
RE: Need help (swollen eyes/shell rot?)

oh such a sad story, i hope and pray he gets better soon, keep up the soaks so hopefully he will regain some strength to fight!

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help (swollen eyes/shell rot?)

Thank you, I went to the vet yesterday. Apparently he has calcium deficiency nd his body had started to use his skeleton for calcium.
Not sorted eyes yet so will have a look at that thanx :)
Thankfully my tort is v health just need to sort this little one out now (ok not so little lol)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Need help with torts eyes

Hi I have previously post about Rex the horsefield tortoise that is my friends but wasn't looked after properly so I am looking after him. He has got a lot stronger but still having problems with his eyes. To begin with the swelling was so bad and they just looked like they where completely fused but the swelling has now reduced a little and on occasions he has tried to open them but still can't. Do you have any suggestions as to what I could use on them? I'm still doing the baby food soaks and someone mentioned outing coiner oil on his eyes which I have now done for 5 days.
Pleas help any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also I have been using coco coir for a few weeks now, how do I keep it damp? Is it ok to poor water in and mic it up or is there another way. I have an open topped enclosure and can't get another one at the min.

Thanx
Rebecca

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Need help with torts eyes

I really like Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, but it's hard to find:

My second choice is easier to find and ALMOST as good:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Need help with torts eyes

For humidity, be sure your temps are correct, humid and cold, not good. Hot and humid is. To help with humidity, cover the enclosure 1/2 to all the way. Be sure you are getting the right humidity for your species though.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Thank you I will try nd look for them.
:)

Could I cover half of it with like bubble wrap until I can get something else?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

Collyrium for Fresh Eyes is available over the counter and makes a good eyewash. It won't cure an infection - you need ophthalmic antibiotic for that - but it helps unglue the eyes.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

No, I'd just use one. Probably doesn't matter which. If you do have to put antibiotic ointment in, it will still help as an opener.

Keep soaking in water , drip water over the eyes, then use the drops.

Yes, you can pour water into the substrate & rake it in with a tool or your fingers.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Thank v much :) I hope u don't mind if I need any more info asking u
Don't want to b a pest lol

Status
Not open for further replies.