trying to save friend's tortoise (updated 8/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Hi a family that I know has got a tortoise and they are actually the ones that got me my horsefield. They have had theirs for years and since having mine I have researched a lot (you have all been helping so massive thank u for that)
I have noticed that they don't look after him properly and the lovely grandma a few days ago said she is sure he is going to die soon. (She has always been against the daughter having a tortoise as she knows it wouldn't get looked after properly)
Ok sorry this is getting long oops, so I have made a deal with her that while the rest of her fam r on Holliday she will bring him to mine and I will try and c what needs being done. He is arriving on the weekend and I have got him for up to 4 weeks.
I was wondering if u guys could help on what you think I should do,
I was thinking to start with i should get his feces tested for parasite.
Give him soaks every day in warm water and just trying to get him on a good diet. Apparently he never really moves so I'm guessing that that's because they don't bother getting the proper heat light and UVB (that will change after I have my hands on the poor little bugger)
Just feel so sad that there is a tortoise suffering its taken me so long to b able to get the mo let me look after him.

Sorry for such long message any suggestions would be great :)

Rebecca

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
RE: Please help trying to save tortoise

First things first, QUARANTINE! you dont want your tortoise getting sick because of the other tort. I understand that your worried but worry bout yours first. From what you already said, I think you already got it down. Baby food soak, feces test (If your willing to spend the money), and then proper food/lighting. Something else i would do, talk to the family who owns him/her. Give them proper information on how to raise the tortoise. Offer to help them out. Thats what i do w/ my neighbor. Ask for permission if you can check up on the torts. I check up on my friends tortoise every week or two. =) I even bring them fresh plants that i grown =)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Please help trying to save tortoise

Thank u :) will try my best and yes I am making another tort table that after he has him i can disinfect and add to make my torts enclosure bigger :)
What do I do for baby food soak?

Rebecca

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Rramagge said:
Thank u :) will try my best and yes I am making another tort table that after he has him i can disinfect and add to make my torts enclosure bigger :)
What do I do for baby food soak?

Rebecca

This is something i do when my tortoise are sick, I buy baby food (Usually carrot) and add to the water that my torts soaks in and leave her there for 15-20 minutes. I sometimes do this even when they are not sick just for extra supplements.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Unfortunately all I know is its a horsefield. I haven't got him yet so will measure him ASAP
Thanx Jlant85 :) might treat my tort to a baby food bath as well lol

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

No problem. Just keep us updated. I'll subscribe to this thread and if you can, do all your follow ups here instead of starting a new thread.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Ok :) will try remember. Will post a pic of him when he arrives

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Coolios =)

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Hi one more question do u know how much water u need to add to coconut coir ?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

are you talking bout the brick?

if so, i like to use 2-2.5 liters. The direction says 3 but it tends to be too damped. I like to start off at 2 liters then if i need to add more i can. If you go over, it gets too damn and it takes a while to dry.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Thank you very much I have been looking everywhere to find that info lol I should just ask here in the first place

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Lol... Yeah, I actually just started using this forums about 2 months ago and just by reading up on others post, I learned a lot.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

I have a question it's one I have been asking 4 a while but still confused over it.
I need to buy new lighting, I'm thinking I will get the zoomed Powersun UVB 100w
Which reflector/holder should I get with it?

Thanx
Rebecca

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

Here is a good thread to read up on when it comes to lightings and getting ideas =)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

just make sure the lamp emits 100w... you can even get one that goes up to 150... if the bulb is 100 anything that goes 100 up is good... it doesnt work vice versa... you cant get a lamp holder w/ 75w and use a 100w bulb. thats just going to mess up the bulb and the holder. but to save you some money.... look at the threads i posted.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Does he get outside time? That would help him a lot, if he isn't getting it now.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

My one does yes not sure about the one I'm about to look after but as its England I need lights defo for the winter

Hi I couldn't really find on that link which fitting/reflector to get for the zoo med Powersun I really need advice

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Ok he has just arrived, his name is Rex.
He didn't have any lights on him, his is so dry they said he doesn't like drinking but its coz the bowl they use can hardly hold any water at all. His eyes are shut and they have said they are permanently closed. They say he is in "hibernation" which is not the case it's neglect.
Nd they also said that he never opens his bowels.

This poor tort is going to get loads of TLC

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Update

People where asking me to give an update on how the poor tortoise I.
Basic info:
He is my friends cousins horsefield, I have know they don't look after him for a while but it's been tricky asking to look after him 4 a bit. They on Holliday so the lovely grandparents have said I can look after him for 2-3 weeks (they don't thing that the fam should have ever got a tortoise coz she knows that the daughter + grand kids wouldn't look after it properly) she asked me to help because she knows it isn't well.
He arrived yesterday he didn't have any lights on him and they say he is in hibernation which he isn't. He can't open his eyest and is soooo dry.
They don't really have him in a good tort table but I can't do anything with that at the mo.
I have had the heat lamp on him and he his head just resting on the rock as he couldn't really lift it but he literally just tufted it a tiny so I'm hoping the warmth is helping a bit. I'm going to give home a baby food soak soon to c if that helps his eyes and to hydrate him.
Will be doing that every day for the week do u think that's right?
Going to change the substrate as its crawling with wood lice.
Any suggestions for what else I should do? Or if I have said anything wrong please correct me
Thanx

Here is a pic of him then a pic of my tort spot the difference (can't believe how dry the shell looks)ImageUploadedByTortForum1375008190.799332.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375008206.571332.jpg

Oh and please don't have a go at me for the lights. The mvb bulb is on its way but post taking a while.
Could you also recommend in the uk what the best reflector/holder for the Powersun 100w is? In not sure if I should get the zoo med one or not

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.