tortoise will only eat pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessm10

5 Year Member
i have the pellets for tortoises what you soak in water and then their mixed with their food , i do this twice a week however , my tortoises will only eat the pellets and won't touch the salad. I know eating pellets for a full diet is very bad for a tortoise , so anyone know a way to get them back to eating their salad? :tort:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yeah, stop feeding the pellets, seriously.

Once your tortoise begins to consume regular greens for a considerable period of time you can re-introduce pellet foods if you like in small amounts and not at every feeding until your tortoise consumes both food sources. If when the pellets are re-introduced it only eats the pellets again, remove them from the diet again.

What brand/type of pellets are you using?

jessm10

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Yeah, stop feeding the pellets, seriously.

Once your tortoise begins to consume regular greens for a considerable period of time you can re-introduce pellet foods if you like in small amounts and not at every feeding until your tortoise consumes both food sources. If when the pellets are re-introduced it only eats the pellets again, remove them from the diet again.

What brand/type of pellets are you using?

The brand is 'Komodo' complete holistic tortoise diet, dandelion flavour and it is fairly expensive , £7.50 for 340g

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Dandelion flavor....well heck, why not remove the pellets and replace them with a big ole gob of dandelion greens/flowers? :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't know if that brand is available here in the U.S. I've never heard of it so I really can't comment on it's quality. But generally speaking, most keepers that use pellet foods use them as a supplement to a good quality, varied diet of natural greens and some addtional vegetables. Some species and individual tortoises accept pellet foods better than others. Some ignore them completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.