Is my humidity okay? Do tortoises need pellets?

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast USA
SO for my humidity I don't have a gauge but I am planning to get one. I spray his enclosure twice a day everyday, but it evaporates quickly. I soak him once a day everyday, so he can get his waste out and get himself moist. Also, his diet is kale, romaine lettuce, and calcium supplements. I will get collard greens so he can have a better mix, I just ran out today. The pellets that soak up water for tortoises, I was wondering if I would need those. You would soak the pellets in water, then they would become moist and you can mix them in with your tortoise's food. Do I need those?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you don't need pellet food. My Russian doesn't care for them. I wider variety of food is needed though.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Don't overdo the kale, collard or turnip greens. Good once in a while but not all the time.They are high in oxalates and can inhibit calcium absorption and cause stones if paired with dehydration. Basically anything every day is not okay, and you need to provide more variety. Try some radicchio, escarole, endive, chicory, mustard greens, or dandelion greens.

Southeast USA
Oh, and I've only fed him Kale twice, as a treat and one mixed with romaine lettuce. So of the other foods, which would you give your tort?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh, and I've only fed him Kale twice, as a treat and one mixed with romaine lettuce. So of the other foods, which would you give your tort?

So what else have you feed? You said his diet was Kale and Romaine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Have you seen this list of suitable greens @WeEgyptianTort?

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like:
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles