Tortoise Tractor DIY

Warhawk

Here is my new tortoise tractor. I was thinking about making it out of wood but after laying it out on the ground I saw how large it was going to be and how heavy. So changed it to PVC pipe.

8 feet long, 2 feet wide and about 1 foot tall. It is very light weight but very sturdy, I glued the PVC, and put a lot of zip ties holding the wire down. When I'm done I can hang it on the wall of the garage so it is out of the way.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Nice, but I would not feel secure leaving an unattended tortoise in it, for fear of escape. Good though if your out with them.

Warhawk

When we put them in the tractor we are in the yard also. Last night he got to run around in there for about 2 hours while I did some yard work and grilled out. So far they have walked around the edges and grazed not really tried to get out. Plus out back yard is fully enclosed with a fence so if they did get out they can't get far.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had the same fear as Jacqui. I like the idea though. If you did want to make it more escape proof, you could get some metal U shaped stakes and stake down the pvc pipes every foot or so, just a thought.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why is this called a "tractor"? I'm not understanding the terminology.

This enclosure needs a visual barrier around the sides.

Also realize the chicken wire will not stop most common predators.

Here is one way to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

I also did the same thing with 2x12s instead of the blocks and it works the same. I can't find the thread though....

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good for you! It's always a good idea to try to get those tortoises outside in the sun. I like it. And the fact that you can hang it up out of the way when not in use is a plus too. You can buy something like this:
ground-staples.jpg

and pound them down in a couple areas just to make sure the tortoise can't lift the "tractor" up and squeeze under.

(But "tractor"????? I don't get it)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The tractor part is puzzling me too. Originally I thought it was a term you guys use in the States, obviously not. :confused:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Here is my new tortoise tractor. I was thinking about making it out of wood but after laying it out on the ground I saw how large it was going to be and how heavy. So changed it to PVC pipe.

8 feet long, 2 feet wide and about 1 foot tall. It is very light weight but very sturdy, I glued the PVC, and put a lot of zip ties holding the wire down. When I'm done I can hang it on the wall of the garage so it is out of the way.

Don't mean to scare/worry you, but I personally don't think it's that safe.

Rue

Canada
Looks like a good idea for a moveable/temporary pen.

I'd stake it down too, I can see a larger tortoise wiggling it's way out from underneath. Wood is heavier, so less of an issue, but even with wood you'd have to watch if the ground it's on isn't absolutely level.

Warhawk

I had the same fear as Jacqui. I like the idea though. If you did want to make it more escape proof, you could get some metal U shaped stakes and stake down the pvc pipes every foot or so, just a thought.

I do have some of those stakes to attach it to the ground and the extra protection isn't a bad idea. I wanted to be able to move mine around the yard so I can keep the tortoise in the area with sun and grass.
Why is this called a "tractor"? I'm not understanding the terminology.

This enclosure needs a visual barrier around the sides.

Also realize the chicken wire will not stop most common predators.

Here is one way to do it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

I also did the same thing with 2x12s instead of the blocks and it works the same. I can't find the thread though....

Not sure what "predators" we are talking about. But raccoons, and other big stuff don't really hang out in my back yard. I'm more worried about birds swooping down and the wire will easily stop those long enough for me to get there. Like I said I don't leave them in the tractor over night or when I'm not in the yard.

That one is fine but not the point I was going after. I don't want a place for them to only get sun I want them to be able to graze also. With that you can't really move it around easy.

I don't know why they call them "tractors" but if you google Chicken tractor you will see the same sort of thing and they have been around for years.
Good for you! It's always a good idea to try to get those tortoises outside in the sun. I like it. And the fact that you can hang it up out of the way when not in use is a plus too. You can buy something like this:
ground-staples.jpg

and pound them down in a couple areas just to make sure the tortoise can't lift the "tractor" up and squeeze under.

(But "tractor"????? I don't get it)

I have some of those and putting them in is a good idea.
Don't mean to scare/worry you, but I personally don't think it's that safe.

No problem everyone does it their own way.
Looks like a good idea for a moveable/temporary pen.

I'd stake it down too, I can see a larger tortoise wiggling it's way out from underneath. Wood is heavier, so less of an issue, but even with wood you'd have to watch if the ground it's on isn't absolutely level.

Thanks
I thought about wood but the weight worried me. I was also worried with it that heavy it could get moved and dropped on a someone so not worth that risk, using stakes to hold it down is better for me. And like I have said this is only used when I'm in the yard and not for over night or when I'm gone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, I was think more about when you can't be out with him, that's when the stakes would come in handy. I like the idea and that you can easily move it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When we put them in the tractor we are in the yard also. Last night he got to run around in there for about 2 hours while I did some yard work and grilled out. So far they have walked around the edges and grazed not really tried to get out. Plus out back yard is fully enclosed with a fence so if they did get out they can't get far.

Then it sounds even better.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That one is fine but not the point I was going after. I don't want a place for them to only get sun I want them to be able to graze also. With that you can't really move it around easy.
The reason I posted the picture of one with wheels was because that is where the name 'tractor' came from. The static versions inherited the name. Good old Google.
Another example below
download.jpg