Tortoise not eating since going to

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
Hey guys,

Randall has not eaten since he went to the vets for his eye, im starting to get worried. i have offered him his favorite foods and he just walks over them and doesnt eat. im going to soak him in baby food tonight. aside from that he has been fairly active. i called the vet for some advice but i dont want to bring him back if its going to stress him out more. when he was seen at the vet he said he looked great and just had an injury to his eye which would heal and they gave me some eye drops which i have been putting in everyday. temps are good and so is humidity. could he just be upset about his eye and the vets visit? he also had his beak trimmed but it doesnt look like theres anything wrong with it..

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have a male leopard who will throw a fit, but still eats. My largest female will do the hunger strike thing for a day or 2. Could be that, but post some pics. Lets make sure the beak and eyes look ok. More info on what the good temps will be helpfull to eliminate possible problems too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey guys,

Randall has not eaten since he went to the vets for his eye, im starting to get worried. i have offered him his favorite foods and he just walks over them and doesnt eat. im going to soak him in baby food tonight. aside from that he has been fairly active. i called the vet for some advice but i dont want to bring him back if its going to stress him out more. when he was seen at the vet he said he looked great and just had an injury to his eye which would heal and they gave me some eye drops which i have been putting in everyday. temps are good and so is humidity. could he just be upset about his eye and the vets visit? he also had his beak trimmed but it doesnt look like theres anything wrong with it..

Sorry to know that Randall's not been eating. :(

Has there been any change to "irritate" him? :confused:

One thing I've noticed in Oli: he gets into "funny"/strange moods without any reason. After all, even torts have a brain and a nervous system.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to know that Randall's not been eating. :(

Has there been any change to "irritate" him? :confused:

One thing I've noticed in Oli: he gets into "funny"/strange moods without any reason. After all, even torts have a brain and a nervous system.
He went to the vet, got a beak trim and is getting eye meds. That's a change.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
its starting to become fall here in vermont, he goes out side almost everyday but that wouldnt change the temps in his enclosure. i fell like maybe hes just upset because he walks right over to the good and steps on it but doesnt eat

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He went to the vet, got a beak trim and is getting eye meds. That's a change.
And that is more than enough to make a tort go on hunger strike.

Keep soaking twice a day. It's possible that he'll not start eating until he's decided you're not going to mess him about any more.

This might be one for the back to basics approach:

Soak, clean up & place food, replace tort and then walk away and leave him to get brave without anyone watching.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sounds like Randall is upset about all the new things that are happening to him. I would probably put him back where he feels comfortable , supply him with food and leave him alone. He needs a little time to readjust !

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
hes an adult russian around 30 yo an he is still drinking alot of water just seems to protesting food

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
hes an adult russian around 30 yo an he is still drinking alot of water just seems to protesting food
Joe, our Greek, was around 40 when he had to have a course of antibiotic injections. He tried to walk on 3 legs every time he saw me as he was convinced I would grab him and stick a needle in him.

The back to basics approach I suggested - making sure he's warm enough to care about food and then leaving him completely alone should help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
its been about a week now
My tort ate virtually nothing for about 3 months. Then just nibbles of very sweet fruit. Then one morning, BANG. She started eating everything she could get.
I'm confident yours will be O.K. It's good that he is drinking.
Maybe see if he'll drink some unflavored Pedialite.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
thank you so much, the vet called today to check on him and he said basically the same thing. he thinks his eye issue may be making it hard for him to eat plus the stress of everything. he reassured me I was doing everything I can and that reptiles just take a little longer to mend. I've been taking him and Gordon (my other Russian) outside for at least an hour and he just loves it he's very active outside which is reassuring had to stop him from walking in the neighbors yard

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
thank you so much, the vet called today to check on him and he said basically the same thing. he thinks his eye issue may be making it hard for him to eat plus the stress of everything. he reassured me I was doing everything I can and that reptiles just take a little longer to mend. I've been taking him and Gordon (my other Russian) outside for at least an hour and he just loves it he's very active outside which is reassuring had to stop him from walking in the neighbors yard
Are these two allowed together?

They should be kept entirely separately. Russians are notorious fighters and mental bullies. Randall is unlikely to improve with Gordon around.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I think I'm going to replace my uvb bulb it's almost been 6 months and I wonder if that isn't helping the situation

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
no they arnt house together I just take them outside at the same time and put them on different ends of the lawn. randy is the bully I learned that the first time I brought them outside and set them down near each other

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think I'm going to replace my uvb bulb it's almost been 6 months and I wonder if that isn't helping the situation
UVB bulbs do need to be replaced at regular intervals, but I wouldn't have thought it was the problem.

I'm sure it's been established that you haven't got a coil UVB (you haven't have you?)

The basking bulb might be a problem. Have you checked your temperatures?