TORTOISE MANIAC THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
When you knock on a strangers door to ask if you can have clippings from the prickly pear cacti growing in their front yard.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
mctlong said:
When you knock on a strangers door to ask if you can have clippings from the prickly pear cacti growing in their front yard.

I was going to do the same thing for my neighbors! :p

josh21 said:
:) wake up in the morning and say good morning to your tortoise befor your family or your wife haha

Yep! :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
mctlong said:

Guilty!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Today while I snuck around a winery a stones throw from a county penitentiary just to pluck grape leaves I realized I could have a problem!

I first spotted this plethora of grape leaves (Echo has never had any!) last Friday, I asked my 7 year old to sneak over and pull em...then noticed the corrections sign and peeled out. Today however I was with my partner and we decided to go for it :p
Here are some pictures.
The top is the sign in front of the penitentiary (thought I was kidding?!) the next is the vineyard row, then my partners head as she lurked around, then our loot :p

image-3646871112.png

Dunno what's worse, all the above or the fact we stored the leaves in the turnpike envelope I had to get thanks to not having exact change, twice.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Masin said:
Today while I snuck around a winery a stones throw from a county penitentiary just to pluck grape leaves I realized I could have a problem!

I first spotted this plethora of grape leaves (Echo has never had any!) last Friday, I asked my 7 year old to sneak over and pull em...then noticed the corrections sign and peeled out. Today however I was with my partner and we decided to go for it :p
Here are some pictures.
The top is the sign in front of the penitentiary (thought I was kidding?!) the next is the vineyard row, then my partners head as she lurked around, then our loot :p

Dunno what's worse, all the above or the fact we stored the leaves in the turnpike envelope I had to get thanks to not having exact change, twice.

Nice job.
I'll have to add that to my things to do list next time I'm in your neck of the woods.
I hope Echo appreciates what you went through to get tort goodies.

So far I haven't been found out when me and Dexter go on early morning raids.
Many of my neighbors have grape vines and Hibiscus in their front yards.
They must think.
Those possums skunks and raccoons just love flowers and new growth.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I can “waste" many hours just watching my torts. I find them to be relaxing.
I like when buying various greens for my torts, cashiers asking how I prepare it and me casually saying, “I don't eat this, it's for my tortoises!".

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
cljohnson said:
Nice job.
I'll have to add that to my things to do list next time I'm in your neck of the woods.
I hope Echo appreciates what you went through to get tort goodies.

So far I haven't been found out when me and Dexter go on early morning raids.
Many of my neighbors have grape vines and Hibiscus in their front yards.
They must think.
Those possums skunks and raccoons just love flowers and new growth.

They had signs in front of each row of grapes saying what wine they produced etc I was tempted to snatch some of each to see if she had a preference :3

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ummm...please be aware that grapes are often classified in "The Dirty Dozen" of most pesticide contaminated produce. I would guess that for such a valuable crop, the whole plant is sprayed, not just the fruit. I assume you wash the leaves really well before feeding it to your tort.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
I like when buying various greens for my torts, cashiers asking how I prepare it and me casually saying, “I don't eat this, it's for my tortoises!".

I like the "WOW you eat healthy".
Then I have to say. The beer, Ben & Jerry's and Doritos are mine. The good stuff is for my critters.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Moozilion said:
Ummm...please be aware that grapes are often classified in "The Dirty Dozen" of most pesticide contaminated produce. I would guess that for such a valuable crop, the whole plant is sprayed, not just the fruit. I assume you wash the leaves really well before feeding it to your tort.

Absolutely, my partner also pointed out that the plants we picked from were bug eaten, non-perfect etc and we wondered if since these plants we found were being used in an archway and not for a harvest if they were sprayed at all since they weren't using them for consumption.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
cljohnson said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

I like the "WOW you eat healthy".
Then I have to say. The beer, Ben & Jerry's and Doritos are mine. The good stuff is for my critters.

Hehe! Yep, I can definitely relate to this one. :D

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
ascott said:
:D kick dandelion wish balls everytime you pass em so as to make sure you can have a bigger supply....
:D pass peoples yards while driving thinking wow that would be a perfect spot for a tortoise yard...

I just was thinking that today while driving. "That would be a perfect yard for a tortoise!" lol

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Your vegetable crisper drawer looks like this...

Attachments

• image-62559766.png
    image-62559766.png
    903.9 KB · Views: 33

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
acrantophis said:
Your vegetable crisper drawer looks like this...

hahaha, YES! So full you have to work really hard to get it closed.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Wow this is soo me too!!

Also,
When the people come to visit and give you a strange look because instead of growing house plants the only thing you grow in pots is weeds!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:rolleyes: When your neighbors bring you native species thinking they escaped from your house! LOL!

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
When everyone you know refers to your tortoise by name, because if they say "your tortoise," you quickly respond with, "Oh, you mean insert your tort's name here."

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
MrJorgensen said:
When everyone you know refers to your tortoise by name, because if they say "your tortoise," you quickly respond with, "Oh, you mean insert your tort's name here."

That's also me!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
leonardo the tmnt said:
MrJorgensen said:

That's also me!

X3

Status
Not open for further replies.