Tortoise Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovingATortoise

5 Year Member
I am looking into getting another tortoise. I would like a very personable tortoise. I know not to be too expectant on a personable horse, as they are shy creatures.. But is there a species that is more curious than the other? Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
LovingATortoise said:
I am looking into getting another tortoise. I would like a very personable tortoise. I know not to be too expectant on a personable horse, as they are shy creatures.. But is there a species that is more curious than the other? Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

I would say to first go with something you can house properly and work from there. How much space outside do you have? Where do you live?

If you can't house them outside almost all year long, then I wouldn't go with anything bigger than a Leopard (10-16").

Most people will tell you that the species they have are very personable! Just look at some of the Leopard threads. I think all tortoise species have the capability to be personable if you interact with them regularly. Some species I am sure are still recluse like Spider tortoises to name one. I know there are more.

I'd say start with: Greeks, Russians, Redfoots, Yellowfoots, Leopards, Hermanns.

LovingATortoise

5 Year Member
I was thinking about either a greek or russian. Maybe even a redfoot, but I'm not sure yet. Out of those three which would you say?

I have 6 acres, but I would like one that could be kept inside on a tortoise table.

M

Maggie Cummings

Why not outside in a pen? What state are you in? Gopherus agassizii are a very personable tortoise. Kind of shy at first but they have great outgoing personalities...My favorite species...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I choose tortoises that are well suited to my climate AND have a good personality. Where are you?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some people have accused me of being employed by the russian tortoise lobby, but I would say a russian is probably one of the most personable tortoises around.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have greeks and russians and i find my greeks more personal than the russians. imho :D

A

Anthony00814

Despite their slow-coach image, tortoises are in fact actual alive if balmy and well fed. Most of our tortoises appear to our alarm at abating speed, in the achievement that we ability be bringing some appetizing morsel.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eastern Hermann's, Dalmatian Hermann's, Russians, most Greek subspecies, Marginateds & Redfoots are all very personable species.
I completely agree with Tom; I also choose tortoise species that are best suited for my climate. This makes maintaining them that much easier and enables them to be kept outdoors most or all of the time.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
LovingATortoise said:

Eastern (and other) Hermann's tortoises are a very friendly species and will quickly learn to eat food out of your fingers. Greeks, particularily Iberians, run 2nd. Russians, probably 3rd, but are about the hardiest species ever (their natural habitat makes Hell look like a tourist resort! ;))

Leopards are a bit more timid, but some eventually become fairly friendly.

Sulcatas are friendly, but become much too large for 99% of keepers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura:

You would be doing any tortoise a great injustice if you plan to keep them indoors all the time. In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals (that is to say, they haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to domesticate them) and they really do better mentally and physically if they can live outdoors when the weather is good.

Also, you don't want to put another type of tortoise in the same pen with your sulcata. Don't ever mix species. So a new pen would be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.