What Tortoise do you recommend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
.... for me?! :D

So i've been looking and researching. Problem is I just cannot make up my mind! (I have this problem a lot!)

I'll have a tortoise table in my room. It'll be a decent size but not huge. Then we have a big garden so for summer months they will have a nice big run with "house".

I will spend a lot of time with my tortoise(s).

I was ideally going to get 2, because I hate the thought of one being on it's own.
Then i read that most tortoises prefer being on their own! I already knew about not getting two males but now i'm thoroughly confused as to whether to get 1 tortoise or 2! (Male and female or female and female!)

So any thoughts on a tortoise for me?!
Or just give me some pro's and cons for each breed. Might help me make my mind up easier!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What size tortoise would you like? Is money an object? Do you care if it is something that may need UV lighting? Do you have issues with shipping? Do you care if it eats only greens/weeds, or is fruit too okay? How about ones that may like eating bugs and other such things?

What size is a "decent" sized table? Just a guesstamation will work. :D

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Whoa.. thats a lot of questions. I probably should have included all that. I'm blonde, bare with me!

I like little ones but my mum likes bigger ones. So somewhere in the middle?!
Money isn't so much an object. Just the more expensive it is the longer i have to wait to save up!
My dads putting a UV light in my little "living room" for them anyway :D
No issues with shipping as long as its not hundreds of pounds
It can eat whatever it wants, as long as i can get hold of the food. I have no issue with feeding bugs and other creatures... I draw the line at spiders though!

My table will be about 4ft by about 2ft... at a guesstimate. :) The outdoor run will be a couple of feet bigger, i imagine. :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
stephiiberrybean said:
.... for me?! :D

So i've been looking and researching. Problem is I just cannot make up my mind! (I have this problem a lot!)

I'll have a tortoise table in my room. It'll be a decent size but not huge. Then we have a big garden so for summer months they will have a nice big run with "house".

I will spend a lot of time with my tortoise(s).

I was ideally going to get 2, because I hate the thought of one being on it's own.
Then i read that most tortoises prefer being on their own! I already knew about not getting two males but now i'm thoroughly confused as to whether to get 1 tortoise or 2! (Male and female or female and female!)

So any thoughts on a tortoise for me?!
Or just give me some pro's and cons for each breed. Might help me make my mind up easier!

If you decide on getting two, make sure both are females...

Two males = constant battles until you seperate them or bury one...

Male & female = constant stress for the female, as male tortoises have only ONE thought, which is why many of us keep two or more females per male (let's just say they're passionate! :p)

Two females'll usually get along fine, as long as your enclosure has enough room (I use the formula 10X the length by 6X the length of the adult tortoise X number of tortoises as a minimum...you really can't make the enclosure too large to suit 'em, though). For a single Hermann's, any of the Greeks or a Russian, figure on an indoor enclosure of 6' (H) X 4'(W) X 2'(H), a bit larger than what you're planning, but your pet will be happier. If you decide on two torts, add 50% to length and width.

As for species, obviously I recommed a Hermann's (was there ever any doubt? :)), but pretty much any European tortoise can make a fantastic "starter tortoise" pet, as can redfoots, if you have enough room for that large a tortoise table (redfoots are larger than even the largest European when adult-sized, so an appropriate sized tortoise table for one redfoot would be about 10'(L) X 6'(W) X 3'(D), minimal). And redfoots benefit from higher humidity than the Europeans, so consider that when deciding.

Hope this helps a little. :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know what, you seem to be a very conscientious animal caretaker, so (in addition to those already mentioned), you could no doubt handle something more advanced. I am going to add a Hingeback into the mix.:cool:

I think your Mom would like the Redfoot/cherryheads the best, but inside size is too small for an adult. Making an enclosure with a second story would help, but not sure it could even squeeze by as enough, still worth thinking about and talking over with your Dad (the builder).

Small would tend to be the Russians Hermanns, and Greeks.

Have you considered also checking to see what rescues may have or there are a few UK sites (such as Shelled Warriors), which may be helpful.

I guess nobody asked if you wanted an adult or a youngster, did we?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I was thinking the indoor one seemed a bit small but it was what i read online. I shall talk to my dad about making it bigger.
I have the room in my bedroom for it so i don't know why i didn't just say, lets make it bigger! :p

I just downloaded Turtles and Tortoises for Dummies on my Kindle. I shall be doing some late night reading tonight with my note book, making notes etc.

Oh dear... Male tortoises sound just like most males of every other species... Are the female tortoises as bad as my mare when she knows the stallions in the barn?! :p

Thank you Jacqui :) I hope i prove myself when i get the tortoise.
My mum would love the redfoots. There are some for sale at the farm near us, bred at the farm. You can see the parents too! I did like them.
I love the hingeback tortoise.

I was looking for a rescue but i cannot find one anywhere here in the UK with tortoises for sale/rehome.

I would ideally like a youngster so i can watch it grow and learn more about them and the growing up process.

Any links for places I can buy tortoises? Or well respected breeders?
I'd rather not buy from a pet shop. I would perhaps consider the farm near us as i know the money i use to buy the tort will go on buying food etc for the other animals. Plus i can see parents and know it was bred of the farm.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jacqui said:
You know what, you seem to be a very conscientious animal caretaker, so (in addition to those already mentioned), you could no doubt handle something more advanced. I am going to add a Hingeback into the mix.:cool:

I think your Mom would like the Redfoot/cherryheads the best, but inside size is too small for an adult. Making an enclosure with a second story would help, but not sure it could even squeeze by as enough, still worth thinking about and talking over with your Dad (the builder).

Small would tend to be the Russians Hermanns, and Greeks.

Have you considered also checking to see what rescues may have or there are a few UK sites (such as Shelled Warriors), which may be helpful.

I guess nobody asked if you wanted an adult or a youngster, did we?

Some valid points, particularily about building the tortoise table as a double-decker, but, still, youngsters become adults surprisingly fast, so I'm of the mind to build the tortoise table in anticipation of the adult it will become.

A youngster in an adult table just has more room to move around in as it grows. :cool:

stephiiberrybean said:
I was thinking the indoor one seemed a bit small but it was what i read online. I shall talk to my dad about making it bigger.
I have the room in my bedroom for it so i don't know why i didn't just say, lets make it bigger! :p

I just downloaded Turtles and Tortoises for Dummies on my Kindle. I shall be doing some late night reading tonight with my note book, making notes etc.

Oh dear... Male tortoises sound just like most males of every other species... Are the female tortoises as bad as my mare when she knows the stallions in the barn?! :p

Thank you Jacqui :) I hope i prove myself when i get the tortoise.
My mum would love the redfoots. There are some for sale at the farm near us, bred at the farm. You can see the parents too! I did like them.
I love the hingeback tortoise.

I was looking for a rescue but i cannot find one anywhere here in the UK with tortoises for sale/rehome.

I would ideally like a youngster so i can watch it grow and learn more about them and the growing up process.

Any links for places I can buy tortoises? Or well respected breeders?
I'd rather not buy from a pet shop. I would perhaps consider the farm near us as i know the money i use to buy the tort will go on buying food etc for the other animals. Plus i can see parents and know it was bred of the farm.

Check out the Shelled Warriors site (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=9f68752094238e6ca90860a9b7b29ff6&f=37) ...they can point you to a good rescue organization, and often have a few to be rehomed on the site... :tort:

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
stephiiberrybean said:
This is the design my dad was looking at for the tortoise table.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120760932...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_843wt_1139

I'll make it bigger. :) Any more improvements on it? Ideas and Designs more than welcome. My dad is very good with wood so anything will be possible.
(I was thinking of a nice DHS sofa and pink wallpaper for the living room... ;) jk, Lol!)

Like that enclosure a lot, and if your dad can build you a version w/ about twice the length and width, that'd be a really nice indoor home for your pet's entire life!

Brilliant design...plan to build a 3X larger version for my 4 this winter! :cool:

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Glad you like it. When i saw it was like :O I have to have that.
I liked the fact it had UV light too. I don't know what tortoises need UV but i gathered it doesn't do any type of tortoise any harm.

I shall go measure how big is where i want it and then go change his measurements. :D

I shall post pictures of its progress and when it's all done. It should be done by the time i get back from holiday (Go on sunday and come back fri!)

Status
Not open for further replies.