Tortoise isn't eating!

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
There's a "pet supply store tax"...basically, take a cheap product and slap a "for pets" label on it and watch the price skyrocket :p

So you can get coco coir bricks, huge ones, at any gardening center and it'll work just as well at half the price.

Rylatts

UK
There's a "pet supply store tax"...basically, take a cheap product and slap a "for pets" label on it and watch the price skyrocket :p

So you can get coco coir bricks, huge ones, at any gardening center and it'll work just as well at half the price.

Just because it was convenient I got it from the petstore I will be adding it to his enclosure tomorrow :) any recommendations? Or do I just add the water leave it for bit and straight into the enclosure?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I always use boiling water to soak my coco coir blocks so it kills any bugs that may be in it. (obviously cold by the time I use it)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I like the coarse on top so it doesn't stick to the tort, but others use just the fine.

Rylatts

UK
Thank you everyone for helping! I will be sure to keep everyone updated :)

Rylatts

UK
I have been thinking of a project to add to Sheldon's new enclosure, I want to setup a plant watering system either using a USB pump on a timer or just a drip system to keep all the plants watered as they don't last long in the heat.

What does everyone think?

Rylatts

UK
New substrate has been put in, also some changes have been made to the enclosure. Thank you everyone for your help!

(Wheatgrass growing at the back also white clover has been plated to the right)

IMG_20160721_185140715_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160721_184712448.jpg

Just a quick question are you allowed to feed tortoises broccoli ? I have seen different websites saying different things :(

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I love the shelter. Sheldon's doing the basking with legs out pose in the second pic so he seems happy :)

How's the humidity?

I can't remember what it was that made broccoli an iffy thing to feed torts. I think they're high in oxalates or phosphorus or something like that that we don't want our torts to eat too much of. I don't feed it and never have, I don't know if it's dangerous to feed or just something that shouldn't be fed often.

Rylatts

UK
I love the shelter. Sheldon's doing the basking with legs out pose in the second pic so he seems happy :)

How's the humidity?

I can't remember what it was that made broccoli an iffy thing to feed torts. I think they're high in oxalates or phosphorus or something like that that we don't want our torts to eat too much of. I don't feed it and never have, I don't know if it's dangerous to feed or just something that shouldn't be fed often.

The humidity at the moment is at 85, the coco is still a bit damp. I left it to dry for a good 2-3 hours before i put it in.

I wont be feeding him that then :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
New substrate has been put in, also some changes have been made to the enclosure. Thank you everyone for your help!

(Wheatgrass growing at the back also white clover has been plated to the right)

View attachment 180950

View attachment 180951

Just a quick question are you allowed to feed tortoises broccoli ? I have seen different websites saying different things :(

The Tortoise Table Plant Database is the best place to look - they explain why they make a recommendation

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Broccoli is "do not feed" if you look it up

Rylatts

UK
Sheldon's gone straight into his hide and buried himself in the new substrate :) now that it's a lot deeper he has really wedged himself down, can't even see his head :)