Tortoise isn't eating

Smichael97

I have a 2 year old Russian tortoise called Sheldon! He's not been eating recently! I've tried all his favourite foods and I bought him a new bulb in case that was the problem. He drinks fine but spends most of his time in his bedroom/shade area away from the basking lamp. I have a large open top tortoise table. The basking temperature is 34 and the normal temperature is 22. I don't know how to help him and I'm very worried about him!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What light did you buy?

Double check the temperature in all areas on the floor part of the habitat. If a tortoise isn't warm enough he won't eat.

Smichael97

Thank you! I always get him the Arcadia uv 100 watt bulbs. That was my first concern so I bought a new digital thermometer and it's saying the same readings as my other one

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soaking sometimes gets them up and running again. Even though he may not like it, soak him in warm water for at least 15 minutes a day. Put it in a tub with tall enough sides he can't climb out. Scrambling around in the water, trying to get out, sometimes helps them poop (just in case he might be a bit constipated).

Smichael97

He's pooped a few days ago and released a lot of urates in his bath earlier today

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
That's a little unusual, usually torts produce a lot more urates if they're dehydrated but if he's soaked daily and has access to water at all times he shouldn't be dehydrated at all.

Have you tested him for parasites recently?

Have you seen him eat ANYTHING that could upset his stomach or cause a blockage? Was there anything unusual about his poop, was it runny or dry?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I would gather up his poop next time and send it in for testing because parasites can cause the tort to stop eating. It would be best to clear up any parasite problems quickly. I'd also consult on here first if it is a parasite problem because sometimes vets can make...bad...decisions when it comes to deworming.

I'd also soak him more, maybe two or three times a day, to help him pass any blockages he might have. Impactions can also cause the tort to lose their appetite and poop can squeeze past the impacted object, so constipation isn't necessary for a tort to have an impaction.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I'm pretty sure Panacur is the most common dewormer used here. Ivermectin is fatal and I would pack up and run if a vet tries to dose your tort with it.

I think a vet visit is still needed if your tort isn't eating though, parasites or not. Don't allow the vet to give vitamin shots and don't allow ANY injections in the hind legs.

Smichael97

Yeah I'm going to give him until the end of the day to improve and if he doesn't I'm taking him to the vet. If a tortoise is too hot then does he stop eating too?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Normal-looking poo doesn't mean parasite-free poo! :D

Since he ate a little today, is it possible he's just really, really constipated?

Smichael97

Yeah I've taken a sample of it and I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they can see him tomorrow