New Leo Hatchling Not Eating Much

M

Maggie Cummings

He needs to sleep in the dark. If you want extra heat at night use an incandescent black light bulb. Get some Spring Mix, it's what he's used to eating and he'll recognize it as food. I've always fed my babies Spring Mix, with other stuff added in. Did you ask the breeder if he soaked the Mazuri or served it hard? Give him time to settle in, a matter of a few weeks...

leopard777

5 Year Member
i find the feeding bowl abit too high for a hatchling to reach in?

M

Maggie Cummings

i find the feeding bowl abit too high for a hatchling to reach in?

I agree, but they don't just reach in and drink. They put their whole bodies in the dish then the whole head goes underwater to drink.
Red clay plant saucers are best for this. Then you sink it down into the substrate...sometimes you put rocks and pebbles in it to help him get out...

S Curry

Yeah, he's just fighting for his life right now... Super lethargic, but perks up when soaking, then immediately back to sleeping-basking then sleeping in warm hide. I'm offering food in a variety of locations but he's too sick to eat. Also, he's def getting enough water with 2 daily soakings. I thinks I just have to keep fingers crossed and hope for the best. It was with a lot of trepidation that I grabbed him out of his hide this morning and I was very happy he was still with us

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It sounds like he's in pretty bad shape. If you have a reputable vet with tortoise experience in your area, I would recommend a visit ASAP. If not, keep him as close to 90 as you can around the clock with moderate to high humidity.

Soaking in baby food has had positive results for a lot of people. Place him in a small dish with some baby food diluted in a small amount of water. This should hopefully provide him with some nutrition without the tortoise making too much effort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Along with the baby food, add some children's pedialyte to the soaking water. Baby food used is usaually carrots or squash. Good luck, I hope something will bring him around.

S Curry

OK, thanks...I'm worried that a trip to the vet will push him over he edge at this point. I haven't had great luck with reptiles at the vet---and I've been breeding snakes and geckos for close to 20 years. I'll def try the pedialyte and baby food

S Curry

Ahhh... Not looking good. I just soaked him in pedialyte and carrot baby food and took him out after a few minutes as he was so lethargic (only opened eyes for a second) I was worried he's drown even tho it was shallow... We'll see tomorrow

S Curry

Super lethargic... Not looking good. I'm still soaking 2 times a day, but he seems to be deteriorating :(

S Curry

BTW, Adam at Torts R Us has been great with staying in touch and has offered to replace if the little guy doesn't make it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry to hear that.

Do you have a secondary means of measuring temperatures to make sure your digital thermometer is measuring correctly?

S Curry

Holy Crap! He's down there attacking his food! After not eating for over a week, and seeming on death's door, he's really eating. I don't want to get too optimistic but it's great (and somewhat unexpected) news.

S Curry

I don't have a secondary thermometer Neal, i wish I did, but this one just hatched a bunch of Honduran Milksnake babies successfully and the probe matches the main thermometer so I'm pretty sure it's spot on... He has a bunch of options within the enclosure as well

leopard777

5 Year Member
Holy Crap! He's down there attacking his food! After not eating for over a week, and seeming on death's door, he's really eating. I don't want to get too optimistic but it's great (and somewhat unexpected) news.

sounds good