tortoise bobs head

mr. tort lover95

Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello. I recently bought a tortoise and I have a quaestion. She is always bobbing her head up and down like she is drunk. She is in perfect health and I don't think anything is wrong but it is kind of unusual.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this the tortoise pictured in your avatar? Looks like a full grown Russian tortoise. If the "bobbing" is just a slight movement of the head, its normal breathing. If it is more violent than a gentle up and down movement, it sounds like what they do when they're trying to intimidate another tortoise. I don't know what to say without being able to see it for myself.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

mr. tort lover95

Youngstown, Ohio
Is this the tortoise pictured in your avatar? Looks like a full grown Russian tortoise. If the "bobbing" is just a slight movement of the head, its normal breathing. If it is more violent than a gentle up and down movement, it sounds like what they do when they're trying to intimidate another tortoise. I don't know what to say without being able to see it for myself.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
Thank you very much. She accually isn't full grown. She is only about 4 inches. Also I was told she was a Testudo tortoise and I know that they can be many different species but I was wondering which one. I was wondering if she was a russian.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
The tortoise in Your avatar pic looks like a russian/horsfield to me.