Looking for advice

Mte21

Looking for advice on what species of tortoise or turtle I should get. I live in the southern part of Michigan and would like to keep whatever I get outside for most of the year. I was leaning toward a eastern box turtle because they are indigenous to this area and I would be able to keep them outside almost year round but I've always wanted a tortoise. I've been looking into the smaller tortoise species like the Hermann, Greek and Marginated. I have experience with keeping other reptiles and have even had aquatic turtles. Just hoping I could get some advice on what may work best for me from people with experience with these awesome little creatures. Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

You need to look into your state's laws about keeping indigenous species. Most states require a permit for doing so.

Mte21

True but Michigan does not for eastern box turtles. They only require that you buy them from an out-of-state breeder and have proof of purchase to be shown at any time. As long as you don't take them from the wild or buy them within the state of Michigan it's completely legal to keep them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Any of the Testudo species that you mentioned should serve you well.

I find the hermanni to be very pretty and very personable. Margie's get a little bigger. Russians stay a little smaller, but still need lots of room. Greeks are an in-between on all of this.

I typed this up for russians, but care for all of the Testudo is similar.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

These should give you an idea of what you need. Pet stores typically give bad advice and sell all the wrong products. I find most of my tortoise supplies at the hard ware store.

Mte21

Hello and welcome.

Any of the Testudo species that you mentioned should serve you well.

I find the hermanni to be very pretty and very personable. Margie's get a little bigger. Russians stay a little smaller, but still need lots of room. Greeks are an in-between on all of this.

I typed this up for russians, but care for all of the Testudo is similar.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

These should give you an idea of what you need. Pet stores typically give bad advice and sell all the wrong products. I find most of my tortoise supplies at the hard ware store.
Thank you and I will definitely check out that care sheet you typed up. I'm definitely leaning toward the hermann's solely based on their personality. I have enough space outside to build a pin that is 5 foot wide by 15 ft long and more than enough space to keep them indoors throughout late fall, winter and early spring. Any suggestions on reputable breeders to purchase from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HermanniChris and GBTortoises spring to mind.

Reactions: Tom

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum! :)
It's a big decision as the tort will most likely outlive you.
Personally, I love Greeks, and they would be fine for your location, I think they have great personalities, but I am rather biased as they are our indigenous species.

Mte21

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum! :)
It's a big decision as the tort will most likely outlive you.
Personally, I love Greeks, and they would be fine for your location, I think they have great personalities, but I am rather biased as they are our indigenous species.
I have seen a lot of great things about the Greeks. I guess I have a lot more research to do but thank you.