leopard tortoise or greeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
hey im stuck between getting a leopard tortoise or some golden greeks. which would be the better choice? which ever one i pick id like it to be personable and outgoing towards me. let me know whats better!

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
jobeanator said:
hey im stuck between getting a leopard tortoise or some golden greeks. which would be the better choice? which ever one i pick id like it to be personable and outgoing towards me. let me know whats better!

Leopard is arguably more beautiful, but consider where do you live, i.e. size of enclosure, local weather, etc. before making the decision. Leopard will grow to a much bigger size than golden greek, and they don't hibernate.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
when they get big that comes into consideration i guess if you live in a place with warmer climates you can make him a out door inclusure when it gets big if you live in a place with colder climate i would go with the greek if you cant decide get both

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i live in northern ny and the winters are cold but the summers are hot. i love the leopards and i think i shall be getting a leopard.. and prolly a golden greek soon after haha

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jobeanator said:
yeah i live in northern ny and the winters are cold but the summers are hot. i love the leopards and i think i shall be getting a leopard.. and prolly a golden greek soon after haha

When/if you decide to get a Greek know that not all Greeks hibernate either. So you may have to have inside areas for each species. With all the lamps and heat and space. Just something else to consider. Do your research on each tort before you obtain it so you are truly ready to care for it. Torts seem be addicting, kinda like, "you cant have just one". But remember the number one thing is the torts care and health.
Because as we all know they are a long, long, long, term commitment.

As far as which tort is better, Check with some breeders, owners about shyness and temperament of each species and subspecies you plan to get. Research the internet. Don't make a rash decision take your time. This is a long term commitment. Some torts are shy and will remain that way. Others are outgoing with tons of personality. Research, research, research.

Status
Not open for further replies.