Tort Mom wanna be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Jacqui said:
If your wanting to start with a hatchling, keep in mind you will need to build a really good outside enclosure to keep them safe, along with one inside. I didn't mention the Greek, Russian, or Hermanns because I thought you wanted medium size, but they are great beginners tortoises. Leopards seem to be harder for many, so I would personally would consider it not as easy as the Redfoot.

You are wise to take your time. This is a life time (and often beyond) commitment.

Well I haven't really settled on one particular size for sure at this point. I figured medium as my yard can easily sustain one. Thing is I think my yard could also sustain a larger tort just not one with the destructive tendencies of the sulcata.

And yes if I do end up with a hatchling I understand they are quite vulnerable to potential predatory critters and their exterior enclosure would have to be built to protect them more so than an older one.

jaizei said:
Personally, I decided against Redfoots because I didn't think it would be easy to provide them with a proper enclosure outside in Central Texas. I think it would be an uphill battle trying to provide (what I think is) adequate vegetation and shade. But DixieParadise keeps some in Georgetown so it can be done if you want to put in the effort.

I can see that being an obstacle and definitely something to take into consideration while making my choice.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think it is very smart of you to be researching before you get any tort. I know several people who have gotten sulcatas when they were hatchlings. Then as they got big and started destroying the backyard they sold them. You are going to get alot of different opinions here because we all gave different kinds of torts. I have Redfoots and 2 radiated, an adult redfoot is alot easier to care for than a hatchling redfoot. Good luck on your search and we are here to help you. If you get an adult tort then you dont have to worry about the vulnerable hatchling stage. Alot of people here with alot of knowledge about :tort::D

OH I FORGOT ONE THING, AFTER YOU GET ONE YOU WILL PROBABLY WANT ANOTHER:D:D IT JUST SORT OF HAPPENS THAT WAY:p

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
bigred said:
I think it is very smart of you to be researching before you get any tort. I know several people who have gotten sulcatas when they were hatchlings. Then as they got big and started destroying the backyard they sold them. You are going to get alot of different opinions here because we all gave different kinds of torts. I have Redfoots and 2 radiated, an adult redfoot is alot easier to care for than a hatchling redfoot. Good luck on your search and we are here to help you. If you get an adult tort then you dont have to worry about the vulnerable hatchling stage. Alot of people here with alot of knowledge about :tort::D

OH I FORGOT ONE THING, AFTER YOU GET ONE YOU WILL PROBABLY WANT ANOTHER:D:D IT JUST SORT OF HAPPENS THAT WAY:p

Thank you. After reading up on the sulcatas it was clear that taking in a tortoise has more to it than what might be on the surface.

Thanks Tortoiseman1, Danarae60 and nicoleandrocky for the welcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.