tort enclosures!!!!!

Sir. Francis

Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Shade, MO
Hey everyone I wanted to put up a new thread and hopefully see everyone's enclosures for there tortoises. Sense there is no one correct way to do something I figured it would be good too have lots of ideas and different ways to house a tortoise. Not just for new tortoise owners like myself but for older tortoise owner to mayby find something new that they like or have advice about changing

Sir. Francis

Walnut Shade, MO
I will go first this is my tortoise table I have right now I finally got around to making it ha. It's 4'x4' and had a mixture of cocoa core, top soil, and wood chips in small amounts for the substrate. I'm still working on a stand for it to sit on and am growing some plants to plant into the enclosure itself. I am also getting a second uva and uvb lamp. And words of advise would be nice

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hi Sir Francis!
Your tort table looks very plain, I would add lots of plants, stones, logs,... as sight barriers. Tortoises should have to walk and look around corners to explore, it's boring when they can see the whole enclosure.

This is my Hermanns' enclosure, it also started out as plain soil, all those weeds were planted by me (since the torts destroy them I have to go for a walk to collect new ones from time to time, that's much easier and faster than growing them yourself ;)).

enclosure.JPG

mkaykay

Minnesota
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443487144.606593.jpg

He's 2 months old so I took out his water dish. the rims of plant saucers even cause him to flip. So he eats on a Tupperware cover for now. Also had to put slanted cardboard against the edges for now because he's constantly trying to climb and was flipping over while I was at work.

Now he hides behind them and is always sleeping. I take him out every evening trying to bond and to get him a soak. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443487326.755547.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443487337.613490.jpg

mkaykay

Minnesota
Hi Sir Francis!
Your tort table looks very plain, I would add lots of plants, stones, logs,... as sight barriers. Tortoises should have to walk and look around corners to explore, it's boring when they can see the whole enclosure.

This is my Hermanns' enclosure, it also started out as plain soil, all those weeds were planted by me (since the torts destroy them I have to go for a walk to collect new ones from time to time, that's much easier and faster than growing them yourself ;)).

enclosure.JPG
I love all the plants!! What type of weeds do you put in there? Are you worried about your tort eating too much?
I have a 2 month old Hermann

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I love all the plants!! What type of weeds do you put in there? Are you worried about your tort eating too much?
I have a 2 month old Hermann
My Hermanns are running around searching for their favorite weeds (especially clover and dandelion) and if those are eaten up they have to wait a few days until I bring them new ones. They are 14 month old now and have a perfect grow pace, so I'm not worried anymore.

I plant whatever I can find (and is small enough to bring home), for example dandelion, clover, daisies, mallow, plantain weed, geranium, wild strawberrys, primrose, evening primrose, forget-me-not, prickly lettuce, sow thistle, speedwell, violets,...
and many more. I always try to have at least 10 different weeds in the enclosure. ;)

He's 2 months old so I took out his water dish. the rims of plant saucers even cause him to flip. So he eats on a Tupperware cover for now.
He should always have water available. A Tupperware cover is perfect, I also used one when my babys were still too small for a plant saucer.