Too much for substrate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
I just got a 24 quart bag of cypress mulch for 22 dollars !! :eek: 24 :16 plus taxes !! Is that the normal price for cypress much ?!! By the way I think im gonna get into the cypress mulch business instead of going back to school lol

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's a lot more than I pay, Have you tried any Farm and Feed Stores? That's where I get it from at $5 for a 3 cu ft bag. One of the distributors listed on the bags I get is located in MI so you should be able to find it locally.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I'm going to try to find it somewhere else Next time! Lol this is the first time I buy and use cypress mulch, I've always used reptibark it's almost the same price and never had a problem with it , today I just wanted to try something new :)

Jd3

5 Year Member
Home Depot. Lowes. Menards all carry it. 4-5 dollars for 3-4 cu ft. You got robbed.

How often are you replacing substrate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably bought it at a pet store. One always pays more for products sold at specialty shops.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Yes I bought it at petco , I usually buy a bag of reptibark every 2 or 3 months it's 22 dollars , I never used anything else so this is the first time I'm using cypress mulch , and next time I'm going to get it somewhere else for sure ! Lol

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
guille24 said:
I just got a 24 quart bag of cypress mulch for 22 dollars !! :eek: 24 :16 plus taxes !! Is that the normal price for cypress much ?!! By the way I think im gonna get into the cypress mulch business instead of going back to school lol

What species of tortoise do you have? And what area do you live in? I searched high and low for cypress mulch; no luck. I'm using 60:40 top soil to peat moss. Works great and it doesn't smell.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Jd3

5 Year Member
Jabuticaba said:
guille24 said:

What species of tortoise do you have? And what area do you live in? I searched high and low for cypress mulch; no luck. I'm using 60:40 top soil to peat moss. Works great and it doesn't smell.

Winnipeg, Canada

It doesn't surprise me peat moss is easier to come by, most of it come from your part of the world. Since cypress trees aren't native to the great white north, it isn't surprising that it is harder for you to find. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375564362.103649.jpg

With forums like this having widespread members people often miss that some things are local. Your mix sounds perfect though and in many ways probably better than mulch. I like to mix topsoil and mulch for my Central American wood turtle and the red foot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
It doesn't surprise me peat moss is easier to come by, most of it come from your part of the world. Since cypress trees aren't native to the great white north, it isn't surprising that it is harder for you to find.

With forums like this having widespread members people often miss that some things are local. Your mix sounds perfect though and in many ways probably better than mulch. I like to mix topsoil and mulch for my Central American wood turtle and the red foot.
[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback! Good to know I'm doing it right! :)

I'm still learning about my Hermanns. If they were yellow- or red-foots, I'd have a much better idea of what to do, as I'm from the same general area they naturally inhabit. But I've never even been to Eastern Europe, so I'm just trying my best to follow what other Hermann's folks do.

Winnipeg, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.