safe mulch substrate

Danielle148

5 Year Member
i'm located in southern CA and cant find cypress mulch anywhere. Only my pet stores have it and its really expensive for a small bag i have a large enclosure. Any other safe mulch? i'm using top soil at the moment and im just not liking it too much. Any recommendations?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What species and size tortoise?

They don't sell cypress here and I don't care for it anyway. Fine grade orchid bark works best for most situations and you can get in cheap in bulk from a garden center.

Danielle148

5 Year Member
I have sulcatas. One is almost 450 grams and the other is about 300. Pretty decent size. I've been looking all over. And some say they are made of pine. Which I heard is a no no some are hard woods others don't really say. So I'm unsure of what to use. And how will I know if they are chemically treated?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Did you try Walmart and Home Depot? In Upstate NY, I can buy 2 cu ft bags of Cypress at WalMart for as little as $1 a bag (in the fall) and $3.99 a bag in the spring. Perhaps this will be the first item on my new list of things that are better in NY than in CA ?

Danielle148

5 Year Member
Yup checked them all. And even called a few local gardening stores. Nothing. I only found it in petco but it's $20 for a bag that I would need alot of to fit my enclosure

Aaron K.

Rochester New York
I live in western new York and am having trouble finding a good substrate at a reasonable price. Is fine grade pine bark mulch suitable for redfoots?
Thanks, Aaron