To Vet or Not to Vet?

Pottergalval

I got my RT from Petco about a week ago. He's doing really well and acclimating to his new home. Joey is active, eats fairly well, has clear eyes, and is all in all showing the signs of a healthy tortoise. The nearest reptile vet is 40 mins away and I'm worried about taking him on a car ride so soon. I'm also concerned about the cost if I'm being honest. He's not a baby and seems healthy-- is there really a need to take him for a check up?

Thanks!

Love,

Joey and Val

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I *would* recommend it for a deworming since most pet store tortoises are wild caught and filled with parasites, but it might be able to wait until he's settled in a bit more.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have had quite a few Reptiles..And have never taken a healthy looking one in for a exam...now if it's showing outward signs of illness I don't hesitate... But to be honest most of the vets I have encountered don't have much knowledge or experience with Reptiles..... If your worried about parasites... Weigh the animal and just bring a sample of the poop for analysis ... If its positive the vet should be able to dispense the wormer based on the weight ... I take a sample of my Sulcatas dropping in once a year... Last 6 yrs no parasites ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would take him to a vet only when something comes up that you can't fix on your own or with tfo's help and that a vet visit is the last resort. A healthy tort may come from a vet visit unhealthy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think once the tortoise has settled in, a 'well baby' vet visit is a good thing. This gets the new tortoise on a record at the vet's office, with his stats noted down. It gives the vet something to compare to if you ever take the tortoise for another visit. Once that well baby visit has been taken care of, I don't ever go to a vet unless the tortoise needs something I am unable to take care of. I use the question - is this something I would take my human baby to the doctor for? - as a benchmark. I don't believe in wasting the vet's time on treating a sliver or a skinned knee.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if it is a imported tortoise it's probably got lots and lots and lots of parasites you should at the very least do a stool (poop) sample.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not
At least not yet.
And use a vet from our list of "good" ones in your area.(If ever needed)
A lot of vets that act like they know tortoises do more harm than good.
Plenty of healthy tortoises carry parasites. It's not at all unusual.

Pottergalval

I think once the tortoise has settled in, a 'well baby' vet visit is a good thing. This gets the new tortoise on a record at the vet's office, with his stats noted down. It gives the vet something to compare to if you ever take the tortoise for another visit. Once that well baby visit has been taken care of, I don't ever go to a vet unless the tortoise needs something I am unable to take care of. I use the question - is this something I would take my human baby to the doctor for? - as a benchmark. I don't believe in wasting the vet's time on treating a sliver or a skinned knee.
My tortoise is a few years old, not a baby. Does this change things?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not if he's never been to the vet.