Tiny Tales

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Just an update on box. Temps stay from 87-90. With water pan and spraying down bed humidity stays between 50-80%. Tiny went in on his own , slept in there. Came out in AM to browse , ate , went back in.

Now at noon he decided to go down in his underground hide. This is working out great. He self regulates ( but he's two). I won't have to bring him in this winter if this continues.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Morning munch. Tiny is healthy active and curious about everything ( read BOLD) if I try and feed him on my lanai in a separate pile away from my leopards he eats a bit then wants to walk way over to them and take theirs away. What a bugger. Now I feed them at different times. Or just put it in his enclosure. He is defiantly dominant. If tiny doesn't turn out to be male I will be shocked. He even chases my cat and he's only a little over 2 lbs :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416237355.468839.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Hey Alaska Mike,
love the pics of your torts, very cool !
Is that variegated ginger in the enclosure pics next to the
hibiscus ? What is the two tone plant ?
Keep taking pics, love that strawberry face !

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hey Alaska Mike,
love the pics of your torts, very cool !
Is that variegated ginger in the enclosure pics next to the
hibiscus ? What is the two tone plant ?
Keep taking pics, love that strawberry face !
Most of the grass & broadleaf I grew in there from Tortoise Supply seed mix. Don't know what it is. I also dug up a patch of purslane from my yard and transplanted there. It's quite common in Florida + gopher torts here eat it.
The varna gated plant is a spider plant. I'm sure there is much more growing around me they could eat but I'm learning about them slowly. When I find a new safe plant I put it in there. :). Thanks.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Interesting thing with this sulcata. I adopted him on Sep 11, said to be 2 yrs old and only 2.3lbs. Way small for age.
Some pyramiding , kept dry, not much light , exercise , no supplemental heat, no outside time. Fed mostly store greens. I really was concerned about MBD.

So it's now been a week shy of 3 months.
He now has 3 + soaks a week, outside heated hide, underground cave, outside surround. Variety of feed , including Mazuri. Cuttle bone. I get him out almost daily for food and exercise . He walks my outside lanai like a soldier patrolling his battlegrounds, chases my cat, and comes right up to me for treats.

In this short of time he's gone from 2.3lbs to 3.3lbs. A 30% gain in weight !
I haven't measured his shell but will today.

His growth has been amazing to me. It looks to me as if even the pyramiding is improving. That is harder to tell. In year or so I will know better.

He/she's a real scamp. Bold and curious.

The changes must agree with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too funny! Little scamp.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
What great pics!!! He is such a character!!! :) I think you should save the photo of him peeking out of the dog food bag to enter in next year's photo contest!!!! :p

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
He looks SO HAPPY. He actually looks like he is smiling in some of the pictures.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How is the buried plastic tote holding up? I buried one like that and the walls caved in from the pressure of the dirt on the out side.