Tiny fleas in sulcata enclosure

JoshSloane

Hey All,

So I have noticed that I have a few small winged flea-like bugs in my sulcata enclosure. These are definitely NOT mites. I have waged war on reptile mites in years past with my snakes, and these are not the same. They buzz around the enclosure, and I see some dead on the CHE. They don't seem to be on my sulcata, but rather in the substrate.

So my question is, do these 'fleas' pose a threat to the tortoise? Or is this just a byproduct of having a giant enclosure filled with substrate and organic food items? In the past I used Natural Chemistry to rid my snake cages of mites, would that work for these fleas?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I just live with them. We clean out all of the leftover food daily and stir up the substrate now and again. Ruby doesn't even know they are there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you bake, boil or freeze your substrate before using it, it will help on keeping these from coming or keep them away longer. Baking for 3 hours at 250 works the best, boiling too. Kills and eggs, etc. freezing just delays them from hatching, what I have found.
They don't really hurt anything and usually dies off. They are just a pain for us humans.

W Shaw

I've seen no sign of anything like them in the couple of months I've had Ronan. Are they associated with a particular type of substrate?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I see them in Speedys tank from time to time , they don't seem to bother him at all . I had decided they were part of the high temps / and humid conditions we create ! :)