The best way to make the tank humid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So one thing I have been missing for my sulcata tortoise is humidity but I have been reading on many threads on here about how important it is. So my question is what is the best way to keep her tank humid, where do I get it, and is there a cheap solution. We are very tight on money so something that works great but isnt too hard on the wallet would be great thanks for the help

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Instead of thinking the whole tank, think just a humid hide. Ones can be made just using a cheap plastic container.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure and spray water in there several times a day to make substrate damp, but not soaking wet. Lots of us have also used cheap small humidifier. I did my leopard with a humid enclosure connected to a non humid enclosure.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
Ill keep that in mind and keep an eye out for a cheap humidifier as well, thanks for the help

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
What kind of substrate are you using? A simple change in substrate can change the humidity in your enclosure completely! And it's cheap to do if you buy like a big bag of peat moss from Home Depot. It's less than $10 a bag. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoo...t-moss-3-cu-ft-53928.html#product_description

Even if you use this stuff as a base under another substrate and really soak it! It should help your humidity. And try to cover the top of your enclosure as much as you can if you haven't already done that.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
I just put peatmoss in yesterday but it needs to be soaked still I'm worried about making it too wet for her though

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
When I was having humidity issues when I first got my Sulcata, I bought a $3 emergency blanket from Walmart and used it to cover most of the cage. Using this and misting the substrate througout the day should help. The pet store also sells humidity gauges.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I was having a hard time with the humidity in Chompers enclosure. He is a 6 month old, wow almost 7 months! Anywho, I found a zoo med brand mister for reptile enclosures. I fill it 1/4 full of warm water and let it mist the enclosure 3-4 times a week. I have recently purchased a sheet of acrylic cut to fit over top. Helps keep humidity up a bunch!
Oh and I use Eco earth as substrate. Got the 3 pack of bricks at petsmart and only needed 2 for his enclosure.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The best way to keep humidity in is to cover enclosure with plexiglass or plastic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What age and size sulcata are we talking about? You only need high humidity for babies and small ones. Watch your temps very carefully with humidity. All the evaporation will cause things to cool. It MUST be WARM and humid. I don't let temps drop below 80 day or night. It is far easier to maintain good conditions in a closed chamber than an open topped one.

Jedi

5 Year Member
Inglewood, CA
Tom said:
What age and size sulcata are we talking about? You only need high humidity for babies and small ones. Watch your temps very carefully with humidity. All the evaporation will cause things to cool. It MUST be WARM and humid. I don't let temps drop below 80 day or night. It is far easier to maintain good conditions in a closed chamber than an open topped one.

At what age do u stop humidity?

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
CA
Size and age I'm not 100% on I have had her for about 2 maybe 3 years now. I'm not fully sure how long they had her for before I took her, and she is a desert tortoise not a sulcata sorry forgot to clarify that here

Status
Not open for further replies.