Humidity Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Ok so the set up I have right now is Eco Earth Coconut Substrate in a glass tank, with A "Humid hut" (Plastic tub turned upside down and a sponge screwed to the top to keep some humidity in there) Basking rock with a heat lamp above it, water dish, and a UV tube lamp. Here is a pic so you can see it.

IMG_0833.jpg

My questions are: Is this a good set up? What is the best way to keep this humid? If I need to keep the substrate wet wont it get cold on the non heat lamp side? Should I even keep the "Humid Hut"?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks okay. Is your heat lamp one of those red colored bulbs? I don't like those for daytime. It can make things look a little "off" to them. If your tortoise gets sun, you'd be better off with a regular incandescent bulb from the hardware store. If not, then just get a MVB. What are you doing for night heat? It needs to stay 75-80 all the time with humidity. This could easily be accomplished with another fixture and a Ceramic Heating Element next to the other bulb, but more toward the middle.

Okay, last thing. He's going to outgrow that in a few months. Just warning you early.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Tom said:
Looks okay. Is your heat lamp one of those red colored bulbs? I don't like those for daytime. It can make things look a little "off" to them. If your tortoise gets sun, you'd be better off with a regular incandescent bulb from the hardware store. If not, then just get a MVB. What are you doing for night heat? It needs to stay 75-80 all the time with humidity. This could easily be accomplished with another fixture and a Ceramic Heating Element next to the other bulb, but more toward the middle.

Okay, last thing. He's going to outgrow that in a few months. Just warning you early.

It is a red colored bulb I will get a white one the next time it burns out. I'm going to go get a CHE for at night when I get done writing this. And yes I know they will outgrow the tank soon. We spent the money on it when we got Kresh it was a package deal $200 for the whole set up. Too bad it was the wrong set up but you live and learn. lol We are working on making a nice outdoor pen for them. So they'll get moved to that soon. Thanks for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.