Swollen eyes

Tortoise76

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have recently been noticing that my russian tortoises eyes have been looking swollen. The look large and pink but i can't get a picture. I can't get a picture because when i go to get my phone and come back they look normal again. I don't know what is going on, i might be insane but i just don't know. Can anyone help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of everything your using in his enclosure. Substrate, lighting, bulbs, and include temps day, night, basking and humidity. How often you soak does he have water 24/7 is he inside or and outside enclosure.

Tortoise76

Florida
The only things i can remember at the moment are- Substrate= Eco Earth loose coconut fiber, water 24/7 and he is inside

Fe-2470

My hermanns tort sometimes gets this I don't know what causes it but i think it could be to do with were he/she buries itself when he/she sleeps, because if it is very dry i think it can lead to swollen eyes. I maybe very wrong but it's a suggestion. I reckon regular soaks when the eyes are swollen is a good idea.

Tortoise76

Florida
This is my setup
h9cVnu27w-6NyWZPDlJ-y--MGCMo37ZeLWuZUfbItPuyTwu2WcuWQsdb74LlzXXMnVO1qcHxKVHDwp6B7ObR-E_gxYucsQ9iUO0zznwAscxJHION6T8FFlzAAjrX6Z5z6YkyRscphlkfOaHW7Mh7xrJ8FlngQIVUl0f_GYW_SNOlduEcxYIL3HVPSiJHBRj8qnDAd0g_gzhx3gMtRjvJX8slBk4FDTX5d0F36hlva82wSfpEg1a3EiXFvI4GSTAg942fi5EaX_-MeNjfJoZiXeJ_ue7SX9n6S5gC8C4LH0O9tDD8nuvWY31ejc_R8KCV72lqBr3DYhOS__HiaHGmGayUu_0o8b4ESg7QGWq8jJ9u5Ds3J8DX5p9Qws3M3nOrbdQU6D4fAmzdXUbbXVTTVR4fGCnjrJ9TqLfERerIcwlYTRPuHyoacXcctedlL3XR8uhzI7Cg3Oi0puQjOzK7jZdd3VR91Clrr7_JbQefJrjAKNfXLdzAdpYW8Ud4C3YfTtdrQtGSfdIrDpjsjSVkDit071vijdM-GBcJwe4LlIx3ZsQrgo68oHGp9cjYksCvqpC7hbPuJwLaAquouNiSwASspp59dmeuGNQLlCx-fAdf1mkzHlS1e2jr=w1078-h808-no

Tortoise76

Florida
I have also noticed that he has been sneezing aswell. So he has swollen eyes that are white (not pink, sorry) and he is sneezing.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Take him to the vet. A good reptile vet!

Bee62

Germany
I have also noticed that he has been sneezing aswell. So he has swollen eyes that are white (not pink, sorry) and he is sneezing.

Your tortoise is sick. Swollen eyes and sneezing are hints for a RI.
How are the day and night temps in the enclosure of your tort ? Push them up !
Btw: I can`t see your picture.
Take your tort to a good reptile VET. It is urgent or your tort could die.

Tortoise76

Florida
Your tortoise is sick. Swollen eyes and sneezing are hints for a RI.
How are the day and night temps in the enclosure of your tort ? Push them up !
Btw: I can`t see your picture.
Take your tort to a good reptile VET. It is urgent or your tort could die.

I don't know the temps but, could it also be something else other than an RI? either way i will take him to the vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It could be many things.

Are you keeping the substrate damp and packed down, or is the substrate dry and dusty?
Also, what type of bulbs are you using? UV?
What do you feed him?
How long have you had him?
Where did you get him?

Tortoise76

Florida
The substrate is dry.
I am using a uv bulb.
I feed him collard greens and squash.
I had him for almost 3 years.
I don't know he was a gift, i'm guessing petco.