Tortoise's eyes not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
My Russian Tortoise's eyes are not opening today, they appear a little swollen. I am concerned she might be ill. Does anyone have any feedback, thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In a russian tortoise swollen eyes are usually a Respiratory infection. could also be a vitamin a deficiency.
Is it still eating? temps? humidity?

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
dmmj said:
In a russian tortoise swollen eyes are usually a Respiratory infection. could also be a vitamin a deficiency.
Is it still eating? temps? humidity?

She is still eating but definitely less the last couple of days. I am using the Powersun 100 watt bulb, maintaining temps at ~ 95-100 degrees at the warm end and around 60-65 degrees at the cool end. I have just started spraying the cypress mulch to try and maintain the humidity ~ 50-60%, because I was not spraying before and the humidity was only around 15-30%, probably it is this Colorado dry air. I have noticed her eyes being watery at times since I've had her the last two months, therefore, I read that this was probably because such low humidity.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to worry you but loss of appetite is another sign , I would watch her closely for other symptoms. Open mouth breathing, discharge from the nose.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
dmmj said:
I don't want to worry you but loss of appetite is another sign , I would watch her closely for other symptoms. Open mouth breathing, discharge from the nose.

I have an appt with my vet tomorrow @ 2PM. I will let you know what she says, thank you for your feedback.

Laura said:
Is that Powersun a coil bulb?

No it is a combination UVB and heat bulb, not coiled design at all.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you get some liquid bird vitamins or a jar of baby food, carrots.. and do a warm water soak with either the baby food OR the vitamins in the water?
Dont allow the Vet to do a vitamin injection... it can have bad side effects.
good luck.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, whatever you do don't allow the Vet to give a Vit a injection. It can have very bad side effects and tortoises really don't need Vitamin injections like box turtles do. Tortoises get their vitamins from their food. He probably has an upper respiratory infection...

Stevie

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Yes, whatever you do don't allow the Vet to give a Vit a injection. It can have very bad side effects and tortoises really don't need Vitamin injections like box turtles do. Tortoises get their vitamins from their food. He probably has an upper respiratory infection...

Mine had 4 vitamin A injections over 4 weeks inbetween antibiotic injections and has touch wood cleared the problem up..

People on here need to calm down with the scaremongering of Vitamin A injections, the main issue is to go to a Vet who has many years of experiencing working with reptiles and not always listen to what you read on the internet..

Status
Not open for further replies.